X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IditarodJoe
    • Oct 2009

Maine Gunsmiths

I'm looking for an experienced gunsmith in the southern Maine/seacoast NH area who is particularly good with these old milsurp rifles. Does anybody have anyone they can recommend?

Thanks.
  • Ping
    • Oct 2009

Wiscassett, Maine

Don't know if you consider Wiscassett as Southern Maine but if it's in your range give Gus Norcross at www.angusarms.com a try. He has a full-time job and does guns on the side but he's the real deal. I have him do any rebarrelling on Garands I need as well as building me an M1A. He's a perfectionist and an accuracy freak, shook his head when I had him put a barrel with a MW of 4 on a WWII restoration of mine. Great guy who knows his stuff and loves USGI and foreign milsurp guns. Reasonably priced too.
    HTH
    Charlie
    Last edited by Ping; 11-02-2013, 01:52 AM. Reason: errata
    Ping

Member since 2005

Comment

• IditarodJoe
      • Oct 2009

Thank you Charlie. My wife and I drove up and visited with Gus last weekend. What a great guy. For a "part timer" he has an amazingly well equipped shop and he really knows his firearms. He took care of the problem I was having with my carbine in short order while I was there.

Wiscasset is about a 90 minute drive from my home, and meeting Gus was well worth every mile of it.

Comment

• downeastah
        • Feb 2010

Looking for a Garand smith in the Washington Country area. Currently in Cutler, but moving back to Eastport this summer.
        "Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar."
        Jayne Cobb

Comment

• petera
          • Oct 2009

Just so long as you don't go to Lubec, you'll be o.k.

Comment

• downeastah
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by petera View Post
            Just so long as you don't go to Lubec, you'll be o.k.
            Can't. My folks were married to each other and were not related, eh.
            Jayne Cobb

Comment

• Ping
              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by downeastah View Post
              Looking for a Garand smith in the Washington Country area. Currently in Cutler, but moving back to Eastport this summer.
              I don't know of anyone else in Maine but Gus who works on M1 Carbines, he'd be your best bet. What do you need to have done?
              Ping

Member since 2005

Comment

• downeastah
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Ping View Post
                I don't know of anyone else in Maine but Gus who works on M1 Carbines, he'd be your best bet. What do you need to have done?
                I just would like someone go over the SG Garand I got a few months back. Because of rotator cuff problems I haven't gotten around to it until now.
                Jayne Cobb

Comment

• Honkey
                  • Oct 2011

http://www.dietrichgunsmithy.com/

This is one of the best gunsmiths I have dealt with anywhere. He has done a few accurized Garands

When I get my CMP Special I will be taking it to him for at least a trigger job.

Comment

• Tactical Armory Solutions
                    • Feb 2014

Check us out on Facebook.. https://www.facebook.com/TacticalArmorySolutions

Been in business since 1999
                    Civilian and Military Training
                    Just relocated to Maine.

Give us a like and send us a message with your questions!

Comment

• petera
                      • Oct 2009

Jim Green in Harrington is very skilled. www.downeastgunworks.com The only problem is his is a retired Marine so avoid big words.
                      Last edited by petera; 03-12-2014, 09:14 AM. Reason: old solider can't spell

Comment

Working...
                      X