Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankdawg0057 View Post
Any tips for what to look for in a drill rifle receiver? Last time I looked at them I noticed varying levels of welds on them. If you see discoloration on the receiver itself, is this a concern? Heat treat issues and all that.

I have not seen any drill rifle receivers that were not usable for the BM conversion but they do vary in the deactivation welding.

The ones you want to look closely at are the rifles with welded OP rods to the receiver.
It's usually in the tab area and separating them usually means weld repair on the receiver and the OP rod if you want to salvage it.

The rifles where the gas cylinder is welded and not the OP rod is usually easier to salvage.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:36 AM

+1. I had to mill the weld from the end of the gas cylinder. Resulted in a half moon removed from end and basically destroying the plug. Could probably stainless weld the gas cylinder, but probably more work to machine than worth. I saw one the other day in a pawn shop and guy told me that the cylinder was "cut" to make it fire single shot!