Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2018, 09:01 PM

They are looking great. I have learned a lot going thru your tips. Great resource. Thanks for posting this.
Looking For SA #2465125 #3740941 S&W #AHD6840
Semi-Retired LEO
NRA Life Member
Old 06-26-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWins View Post
They are looking great. I have learned a lot going thru your tips. Great resource. Thanks for posting this.
Thank you sir. These do have character. Some of the foreign ones are really looking nice. That stripey one I am trying to hide in the pictures is not for sale

It may be nicer than one of my M14 stocks.

But not this one

JH
Old 07-04-2018, 08:35 PM

What better way to celebrate "Merca than working on stocks?

I finished sanding the 4 pins in the 1903A3 stock. I used a dremel with sanding drum to get the brass down to the wood, then finished with sandpaper on a block. Hint: as you get closer with the dremel, turn the speed down so it goes slower.

I found a small chip in the heel so I decided to try superglue. I filled the depression with superglue, placed a pinch of dust on it and pressed, then sprayed accelerator. I sanded immediately with a block, found a few low spots so I repeated. Total was about 10 minutes to repair it,

I then sanded the stock with a pad sander and 150 grit paper. I had already sanded the stock, this step was to get it all matching as my sanding on the pins and gouges had resulted in some smoother areas.
Here is the result after a wipe down with a cloth.

Now I have started on the stain. This is USSR stain, available here:
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=27670
Consider supporting your fellow hobbiest forum members. Just saying.

It's easy to apply (a folded square of paper towel). Middle looks a bit dark in the picture, and the front of course has no stain. The cartouches popped out nicely. I took no special precautions, I just avoided them during most work and carefully sanded around them, and a few passes over them with the pad sander.
To get the color to match just keep rubbing, adding a drop of stain when needed. I buffed with a cloth when done; I'll check tomorrow and touch up if needed, and start the oiling.

Happy Independence Day.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:41 PM

Here is the repaired stock after the stain has dried.

Color is smooth and even.
Here is is next to an untouched, unoiled CMP (Boyds?) C-stock.

The USSR stain is nearly black in the bottle, it goes on smooth and in my opinion has a good amount of red.

JH
Old 07-08-2018, 06:34 PM

Here are some from the 1st batch; I'm calling these done.
2- 10 top to bottom

2 is the winner in this group; barely used, crisp DAS stamp. It was cracked in half through the left magwell; an easy and solid repair. Almost impossible to see on the outside.
5 is interesting; very smooth with a spliced heel and some filled slices on the bottom. Lots of character.

6-9 top to bottom

6 and 9 have Dane markings, 9 has the custom soldier-made "checkering" on the pistol grip.

10-13 top to bottom

11 is a nice birch stock. 12 is foreign, very dense and heavy; would be an excellent stock to bed. It's not soaking up oil. 13 is a nice dirty (that's all woodgrain, not actual dirt) birch. I tried to darken it with stain, no real effect. It's starting to grow on me.
Look for these on the for sale forum soon.
JH