Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankdawg0057 View Post
Any tips for what to look for in a drill rifle receiver? Last time I looked at them I noticed varying levels of welds on them. If you see discoloration on the receiver itself, is this a concern? Heat treat issues and all that.

I have not seen any drill rifle receivers that were not usable for the BM conversion but they do vary in the deactivation welding.

The ones you want to look closely at are the rifles with welded OP rods to the receiver.
It's usually in the tab area and separating them usually means weld repair on the receiver and the OP rod if you want to salvage it.

The rifles where the gas cylinder is welded and not the OP rod is usually easier to salvage.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:36 AM

+1. I had to mill the weld from the end of the gas cylinder. Resulted in a half moon removed from end and basically destroying the plug. Could probably stainless weld the gas cylinder, but probably more work to machine than worth. I saw one the other day in a pawn shop and guy told me that the cylinder was "cut" to make it fire single shot!
Old 11-28-2018, 12:44 AM

Hey guys,

Sorry to revive this old thread, but there's a lot of good knowledge on here.

Is there any reason that the front receiver legs can't be removed? It seems to me like some of the hassle of opening up the magazine well could be reduced by just cutting the front legs off altogether.

The receiver would look like an M14 receiver with longer legs at the mid-section. I think the trigger housing would still sit correctly since it should be fully bedded on the wood and not the receiver legs. I guess some frontal bedding would be lost, but how important would that be? It seems to me like the primary concern is to support the rear-facing surfaces to keep the action from moving back under recoil. I suppose the font-facing surfaces would come into play with a fully bedded action, but who is taking the time to do that with a BM59?

I'm sure there's a reason the Italians didn't do this in the first place, I'm just not sure what that reason is...

Thanks!

Steve
Old 11-28-2018, 07:53 PM

Steve, I think I have seen some pics of legless receiver legs. I would not do it on one of mine. Can't say for sure, but the receiver legs seem to provide a significant amount of support for the magazine and limits side to side "slop". Don't think I would want to rely on the wood or trigger housing cut-out to take up clearance. I hand fit mine to ensure that the mag is a snug fit between the legs.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s11033 View Post
Hey guys,

Sorry to revive this old thread, but there's a lot of good knowledge on here.

Is there any reason that the front receiver legs can't be removed? It seems to me like some of the hassle of opening up the magazine well could be reduced by just cutting the front legs off altogether.

The receiver would look like an M14 receiver with longer legs at the mid-section. I think the trigger housing would still sit correctly since it should be fully bedded on the wood and not the receiver legs. I guess some frontal bedding would be lost, but how important would that be? It seems to me like the primary concern is to support the rear-facing surfaces to keep the action from moving back under recoil. I suppose the font-facing surfaces would come into play with a fully bedded action, but who is taking the time to do that with a BM59?

I'm sure there's a reason the Italians didn't do this in the first place, I'm just not sure what that reason is...

Thanks!

Steve

The M14 mag conversions are oftentimes legless, the legs guide the magazine on a BM59. I can take pictures tomorrow...

Eli
Old 11-28-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by col b View Post
Steve, I think I have seen some pics of legless receiver legs. I would not do it on one of mine. Can't say for sure, but the receiver legs seem to provide a significant amount of support for the magazine and limits side to side "slop". Don't think I would want to rely on the wood or trigger housing cut-out to take up clearance. I hand fit mine to ensure that the mag is a snug fit between the legs.
Hey,

Thank you for the input. On my two BM59s the receiver legs actually make the fit excessively snug, and I'm thinking about trying to bend them out somewhat. Hopefully I can keep them from snapping on me. The receivers were cut from ADI castings, so I think the legs flexed inward when they were heat-treated.

I've never tried machining a mag well out myself. Would having less material to remove make it easier, or would it not make a difference if using the right bits?

Thanks,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliyahu View Post
The M14 mag conversions are oftentimes legless, the legs guide the magazine on a BM59. I can take pictures tomorrow...

Eli
Hey,

Thanks for the offer of pictures. Is yours a BM59 conversion or an M14? If it's a BM59-style I've got two here for reference. If it's an M14, then I'd be very interested to see.

I'm chasing the demon and trying to build a mag-fed 30-06 rifle using an obscure magazine that should work much better than the BAR's. The design is closer to the Garand than to the BM59, but BM59 and M14 conversion info is obviously applicable when it comes to the mag well.

Steve

Last edited by s11033; 11-29-2018 at 12:58 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:54 AM

[QUOTE=s11033;1777919Hey,

Thanks for the offer of pictures. Is yours a BM59 conversion or an M14? If it's a BM59-style I've got two here for reference. If it's an M14, then I'd be very interested to see.

I'm chasing the demon and trying to build a mag-fed 30-06 rifle using an obscure magazine that should work much better than the BAR's. The design is closer to the Garand than to the BM59, but BM59 and M14 conversion info is obviously applicable when it comes to the mag well.

Steve[/QUOTE]

Mine's a BM59 conversion, I have pictures of a factory BM62 as well.

Eli
Old 11-29-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s11033 View Post
Hey,

Thank you for the input. On my two BM59s the receiver legs actually make the fit excessively snug, and I'm thinking about trying to bend them out somewhat. Hopefully I can keep them from snapping on me. The receivers were cut from ADI castings, so I think the legs flexed inward when they were heat-treated.

Hey,

Steve
It could be that the legs were not supported during milling. I take a C Clamp and immobilize the legs to preclude them from flexing outward from endmill outward pressure.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:13 PM

If your ADI castings are from Australia, I would think two or three times before using it....regards....alex
Old 11-30-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC-7 View Post
If your ADI castings are from Australia, I would think two or three times before using it....regards....alex
Whatís wrong with them? Iíve got a few hundred rounds through each of my BM59 builds.

Steve