Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2018, 10:37 PM

Thanks DavidJeane and CavTanker.
I should try more pics with some useful props and accessories.
My pet peeve: people who post puctures with a cleverly placed offball craft beer to show how hip they are......
But strategically placed loaded clips, bayonets, patches can work well.
Jh
Old 06-16-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
My pet peeve: people who post puctures with a cleverly placed offball craft beer to show how hip they are......
HaHa! Truth!!

Staging was never really my thing either. I totally stole those ideas from those Military Surplus magazines that Guns & Ammo used to put out a couple of times a year. I still have a stack of those laying around and was thumbing through them one day and noted how they staged rifle photos with the rifle's accessories, or original period militaria. Thought it looked great, so I started trying that.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:47 PM

Thumbs up

Great info from Zvenoman.
When you were discussing Depth of Field, you almost got one of my pet peeves explained.
When using a "powershot" or similar camera, know what the closest distance you can focus at is. Most cameras will get down to less than 18", but focusing close means that the depth of field is compressed.
It is always better to position yourself (and the camera) at a slightly longer distance, then use the zoom on the camera to focus on the object.
Many people try to move the camera closer for a "closeup", and end up closer than the minimum focus distance. Seldom are you going to get a clear shot of a cartouche from 6" away. I try to shoot from 18-24", and use the zoom on my Nikon Coolpix.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:53 PM

excellent write up

I would say my pet peeves are;

1. Too few pictures
2. bad pictures - lighting - odd angles for no reason
3. excellent close up pictures, but no overall (showing entire gun)
4. almost no description - this is very common
5. AND, take lots of pictures, digital is free, then delete the ones you don't like
6. Try taking close and far away for small details, as you can crop down to what you want.

One more comment - although very much improved, Paint still is too basic for me, although I use it for work. I use Paint.Net - be advised that paint.net goes to some paint store the other is .....getpaint.net.... with normal http etc

Its free unless you want to donate and does a lot of things. Pain shop pro is great too, as is Photoshop, but its expensive.

Last edited by weimar_police; 06-16-2018 at 09:07 PM.