Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 01:12 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to skwchock
Default M1 Garand buttstock swollen

I have a M1 Garand that I used tung oil to refinish the stock. All parts fit BEFORE I disassembled to apply tung oil. Put on 5 coats of tung oil and polished them. Wood grain looks great. All parts seemed to re-fit perfectly. Put the buttstock back -- tried to re-insert the trigger housing. The trigger guard would not latch. Did not want to force. Took it to a gunsmith. He took his M1 buttstock, put it on my rifle and inserted my trigger housing. It fit and latched properly. He said that the buttstock wood on my M1 had swollen (tung oil?). Told me (1) sand and file down the inside edges to fit; or (2) to put the buttstock in the sun to "dry" out. Don't know what else to do. Any ideas? (BTW. I opted to put it out in the sun to "dry" out -- don't know how long I should leave it in the sun.)
Old 07-19-2018, 02:22 PM

I would think something else was going on
Old 07-19-2018, 02:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Didn't you already get a response to your situation? If anything, don't sand or file!!!
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....23#post1734523
Old 07-19-2018, 03:51 PM

Default Shomway video

I looked at the video. I could not see how far the trigger guard was from the latch in the trigger assembly. My trigger guard is about 1 inch so so from the latch point..so I am concerned that by hitting with a hammer, I might damage or break the trigger guard... then that is another set of problems. (as a "newbie" I really feel inexperienced to do something as drastic as "hammering" the trigger guard....

However, as I stated in my note, when the gunsmith attached his M1 buttstock to my rifle, my trigger assembly just slipped right in and latched smoothly. So something is definitely amiss with my M1 buttstock.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwchock View Post
I looked at the video. I could not see how far the trigger guard was from the latch in the trigger assembly. My trigger guard is about 1 inch so so from the latch point..so I am concerned that by hitting with a hammer, I might damage or break the trigger guard... then that is another set of problems. (as a "newbie" I really feel inexperienced to do something as drastic as "hammering" the trigger guard....

However, as I stated in my note, when the gunsmith attached his M1 buttstock to my rifle, my trigger assembly just slipped right in and latched smoothly. So something is definitely amiss with my M1 buttstock.
There's no way your stock went from the TG just slipping right in to being an inch from closing. If it did, you assembled something incorrectly. You'd have to submerge the stock under water for a week to get that kind of swelling.

Still, an inch isn't a problem. get the mallet out
Old 07-19-2018, 06:48 PM

I agree with SEAN in MICH. Your rifles action should draw the wood in when you get it locked-up. Just give the trigger guard a good sharp rap with a rubber mallet. I garentee the wood will compress before the gaurd breaks. After that don't disassemble the rifle for a month to get the action settle in. Eddie
Old 07-19-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwchock View Post

1. Find a Garand gunsmith,m there is a difference.
2. 1" is perfect. Whack it. If you think you will damage it with a hammer then you shouldn't use a hammer. Man up, whack it, or use a block of wood.
3. Nothing is amiss. Did I mention that 1" is perfect?

JH
Old 07-19-2018, 07:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
1. Find a Garand gunsmith,m there is a difference.
2. 1" is perfect. Whack it. If you think you will damage it with a hammer then you shouldn't use a hammer. Man up, whack it, or use a block of wood.
3. Nothing is amiss. Did I mention that 1" is perfect?

JH
Yes you did....... I guess he wasn't happy the first time he asked.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.ph...&postcount=168
Old 07-19-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
Yes you did....... I guess he wasn't happy the first time he asked.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.ph...&postcount=168
If there was only a video to illustrate my point, 'cause I'm failing
Old 07-20-2018, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the advice. I had been "sun" drying my buttstock for a couple of days...the days were really hot and sunny..so the buttstock got some "rays". I reassembled my rifle with the sun-dried buttstock AND the trigger assembly. The latch closed most of the way, but there was about 1/2 inch that would not close completely.. so I got the rubber mallet and gave it a firm thump. The trigger guard latch closed and now I have a functional rifle again. It was a good feeling. Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I will be a "newbie" for awhile .. so I will need more help.. Thanks.
Closed Thread