Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2018, 04:36 PM

PH68, small correction, there were 4 SA M1Ds and I think 8 drills. I think you counted the 2 M1Ds while I had 1 up at the counter. When I found my SA 6.08 mil O-66, I put my M1D back and for some reason there was another M1D and 2 drill rifles next to each other hidden/misplaced on the back right rack facing the table with the other drill rifles.

BTW, it was nice to meet you in person.

GuapoPogi
Old 09-28-2018, 06:31 PM

So much knowledge transfer today at TMP. I went to pick out a special in .308 and ended up with a O-66 6 mil SA that a more knowledgeable person pointed out to me. I was pleased as punch. I also got a GI original stock that a very nice member pointed out with a nice cartouche on it. Having all CMP and hackberry wood up to this point I was thrilled by that also. So many rifles I overloaded with choices after that and froze up on buying and only go those two. Good thing or I would have bought my limit right there LOL!

The overheard quote of the day for me was "Anyone of these rifles would be the hidden gem on a normal day at the south store"

Thanks again for the amazing community of collectors on this forum, this morning was well worth my leap of faith to come down.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:45 PM

I was lucky enough to pick up the only IHC gap letter that was put out. The staff said it was an oversight that it was even out. The only IHC parts on it were the receiver and rear sights. I am super excited to have such a unique rifle. Thank you CMP!
Old 09-29-2018, 09:30 AM

So this is second hand news, but wow, the TMP turned my older brother into a ten year old yesterday! He lives in Tucson and everytime he visits us in Colorado we shoot M1s and he has had Garanditis for about a year now. He is in the South East assisting with Florence recovery and made a detour to Atlanta and the TMP on his trip home for the weekend. He too was overwhelemed by the amount of and the quality of the rifles being offered by the CMP. He was very kindly assisted by either staff or a volunteer and selected a SA Field Grade Special. He is thrilled to now be taking care of an M1. Thanks CMP!
Bob
Old 09-29-2018, 12:03 PM

Default West store report 9/29/2018

This was another busy morning at the West Store... There were about 20 customers at opening, customers continued to show up shortly after opening and the store hadnít been restocked since yesterday. Still a good selection of rifles, my numbers are close but to much movement to get exact numbers.

Still lots of nice rifle available, about 150 currently present, saw a few cartouches, many WWII barrels. Hackberry isnít moving very well with many USGI stocks available..

CMP Specials SA, WRA, IHC, 40, one was a O-65.

IHC SG 22/ FG 25

WRA SG 10/ FG 15

SA SG 10/ FG 15

HRA SG 8

M1 Drill, 7

M1D SA RG 3.

Good luck on your searches.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:27 PM

Thanks Tom, for showing me the USMC rebuild special. I did buy it.. Semper Fi.
Rob thanks for looking over my HRA.

Now I have to change all little man's diapers this weekend. Small price
Old 09-29-2018, 04:29 PM

Default Rifles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinandKim View Post
Thanks Tom, for showing me the USMC rebuild special. I did buy it.. Semper Fi.
Rob thanks for looking over my HRA.

Now I have to change all little man's diapers this weekend. Small price
Congratulations on both rifles, both are very nice and little man will appreciate your services.....
Old 09-29-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mturner23462 View Post
So much knowledge transfer today at TMP. I went to pick out a special in .308 and ended up with a O-66 6 mil SA that a more knowledgeable person pointed out to me. I was pleased as punch. I also got a GI original stock that a very nice member pointed out with a nice cartouche on it. Having all CMP and hackberry wood up to this point I was thrilled by that also. So many rifles I overloaded with choices after that and froze up on buying and only go those two. Good thing or I would have bought my limit right there LOL!

The overheard quote of the day for me was "Anyone of these rifles would be the hidden gem on a normal day at the south store"

Thanks again for the amazing community of collectors on this forum, this morning was well worth my leap of faith to come down.
I am glad you like that special. It got my attention then and I still think about it now.
A very nice combination of neatness and in what is basically a brand new .308 rifle. Hard to get better in my opinion if a Special is on your shopping list.

Rob
Old 09-29-2018, 08:00 PM

Default Just a few of the neat things I found, or was shown from this weekend

Guys,
No doubt these rifles averaged better than the average of what we have been seeing. I am optimistic for future rifle opportunities at the store.
For me, I only purchased a single rifle. An SA 2.2 that was O-66 marked. I am very happy since that was on my shopping list. I have a hard time holding onto the Marine Corps rebuilds so maybe we will be seeing more in the near future. There was somewhere between 6 - 8 of them in this weekends offering.
So many old friends present at one time. A great opportunity for our hobby to get like-minded people at the same location. It was great.
Got to spend a bit of time talking to Orest and it is sure good to see him again. We all owe him more than we know.

Some of the neater items I found, or was shown:

- The most notable IMO was Matt Z finding the IHC Gapper. I was close enough to it I should have sensed its presence just from the neat vibes it put out, but Matt picked it up EARLY in the search. Good for him. I am not going to let him forget that one for a while

- early '52 dated IHC stock with Ord Wheel on left side (pretty decent stock). I could not believe it when I saw it, but it did go home with another customer.

- 6 Mil Service Grade that was also O-66 marked. I do wish I had found this one, but I did not. It was great looking it over non the less and I am looking forward to getting photos of it for my records.

- '54 dated IHC stock. I carried this one around for a bit but the DAS was too weak for my needs. I will probably regret putting it back because I have been on the hunt for a decent IHC stock for quite a while.....Oh well.

- 5.7 HRA Service Grade with the original 11-53 SA barrel (yep, the punch was in the P). This is one that has also been on my shopping list for quite a while. I was real stoked to find it and it was another one I carried around for a bit. I ended up reluctantly putting it back. Mostly due to the "Turkish purple" look to the receiver finish. It still hurts but I want one I can look at the morning after and not regret it.

- Joe was there today and finding some real neat stuff. He found an early WRA gas cylinder with the drawing# on the rear ring. He also found an early WRA rear handguard on one as well as a couple grooved rear handguard clips.

- lots of late WWII with original barrels and early post war (4.2 & 4.3) with original barrels and lots of parts.

- lots of GI wood. Been so long I almost forgot what it looked like.

- A WRA Win-13 that Kenny W said had as much finish on it as I had hair on my head, so we decide it would be called the "bald-headed Winchester". Someone is the proud new owner as I did not see it today. I kinda liked it for some reason.

- A few lock-bars and WRA op-rods seen, as well as single slot Gas Screws.

- even the drill rifles were well-represented. One was a 5.79 HRA. That serial number is on my want to buy list but for me I am thinking a Service Grade if I am patient (and I am not particularly known for that).

All in all I had a great time and I really enjoyed renewing friendships and making a few new friends.
Looking forward to another South Store visit in a couple weeks to see if this new trend continues.

Great time ya'll. Wish you could have been there,

Rob
Old 09-29-2018, 08:37 PM

How'd the matches go?