Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Talladega Marksmanship Park
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2018, 10:46 PM

Default TMP simply amazing

Had a chance to finally make it to TMP last Wednesday. Amazing. Staff were top notch, friendly, efficient, and made the experience easy and enjoyable. Shot on the 100 and the big range. Wish I had more ammo and more time, couldíve shot all day. Hoping to make it back for the 600 in December.
As others have reported, if you have an opportunity to go, do it, you wonít regret it.
I had no troubles with the target systems other than one user error. Also noted it seemed like I could make out the black easier than on the usual paper targets. Possibly the lighting that day, possibly in my head ?? Been fighting the old eyes thing but that was my perception.
Anyway, the TMP is definitely a sight to behold, go if you can.
The store was pretty well stocked but I went home empty handed. Mostly WRA and IHC but nothing I couldnít live without. It was my first time meeting the dreaded hackberry. My personal opinion is I canít foresee ever owning one. It would have to be on a pretty special rifle to even consider it.
I would like to thank CMP for having the vision for the TMP. An amazing facility by anyoneís standards. God willing it certainly will not be my only visit.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:54 PM

I will second that. The range is super nice.

Veteran US Army, Artillery
NRA Member
My Dad was a Gun Captain on the USS Enterprise CV-6 WWll
Old 08-14-2018, 02:07 PM

I love running my Garands out to 600 yards.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:07 PM

The TMP really is an awesome facility; and I agree completely on the comments too about the staff; awesome folks. I'd like to generate more interest among the forum members to go shoot the JCG and GSM matches at the TMP, a lot of fun and a great way to get out and shoot these rifles. Next one is the end of September.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:58 PM

OP:
"....... Also noted it seemed like I could make out the black easier than on the usual paper targets........."

When I've shot there I noticed a difference too....... I think? maybe? it is due the targets being a white background (and not buff).............

Not bad, just different.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
OP:
"....... Also noted it seemed like I could make out the black easier than on the usual paper targets........."

When I've shot there I noticed a difference too....... I think? maybe? it is due the targets being a white background (and not buff).............

Not bad, just different.
Well, itís either that or all in my head (good possibility). I do think there is a difference though . For me, I think it actually helped a bit. Iím gonna photocopy some SR 1ís and see if it is the same.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:02 PM

Brit, if I was closer I’d make every one. Looooong drive. Just glad I’ve got family about an hour north of TMP. I’ll make it there every time I visit from here on out. Hopefully will be able to coincide it with some matches. Hoping for the 600 in December.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hdrocks View Post
Brit, if I was closer Iíd make every one. Looooong drive. Just glad Iíve got family about an hour north of TMP. Iíll make it there every time I visit from here on out. Hopefully will be able to coincide it with some matches. Hoping for the 600 in December.
If your out there and see a guy shooting a Lee Enfield in blond furniture, that would be me. And my M1 too of course. Iíll be there at the GCA GSM match last weekend of September, hoping to do well now that itís got a decent barrel on it. And itís going to take a herd of elephants to keep me away from the Talladega 600 in December (or a very bad snow storm!).
Old 10-09-2018, 01:20 PM

Leaving tomorrow for the Talladega Superspeedway races this weekend. Will be at the range Friday. Got "hooked" on the 600 yard range. Still can't hit a bull in the ****** with a base fiddle, but not gonna pass up a chance to use the range!