Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2018, 01:11 PM

Default Camp Perry - off index '42 SA

Went to Perry with a buddy last Saturday. First stop was the CMP store and was approx. 30th in line, one guy behind us when the store opened. Wasn't really going to buy anything unless something jumped out and bit me, my friend did want to look at the 03's and maybe pick one up if it was decent. The first 8 or 10 guys in the door rushed to the 03 rack and by the time we got through the door the rack was completely bare. Well . . they were there first . . so be it.
The M1 racks were full with SG/FG of SA/Win/IHC/H&R's and there was a rack of specials which looked pretty nice! Usual rack of D's and box of leather slings that my friend said probably came from the Greeks, I don't really know. Hackberry stocks were in abundance. Didn't buy. Went to the row and picked up two spam cans of HXP and a couple of boxes of '68 Lake City match along with some cleaning equipment . . all in all a great experience!

I took my Jan. '42 SA (439XXX, not lend lease) up to have the CPM armorers in the trailer look at it and tell me if it was off index as I had to dial in 10R to get it in the 10 ring. They were really busy as guys were getting their rifles checked (trigger pull weights) for the shoot, but this really nice guy at the window (Chris Hord) took the time to take it down and check it. He had it for approx. half an hour and gave it back to me saying that the index was spot on and the sights were aligned perfectly. I thank him for that, as this seems to be a numbers correct, all parts wear patterns matching, in the white rifle that I hoped was not damaged in any way. I am apparently "cockeyed" and am glad that it was me that was off and not the rifle. My hats off to CMP and Mr. Hord for their great assistance that day in helping this old guy . . . and for all they do to assist us in this great hobby!

Brian

LE-40yrs. OEF/04-06-10
Old 07-31-2018, 03:20 PM

Sounds like your front sight needs to be adjusted to the left. Of course, Camp Perry matches ain't the right place and time to do some experimenting..... Good Luck.
USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell
Old 07-31-2018, 04:18 PM

Gunny,

Thanks for the input . . unfortunately I cannot move the front sight as it is the older narrow base gas cylinder with cap over screw front sight which precludes my ability to move it. I have two '55 shooters which I have adjusted as you eluded to, but it would destroy the authenticity of this rifle to remove the cap and adjust the sight . . this is why they improved the rifle in mid '43? with the removal of this cap and the addition of the wider front sight base on the gas cylinder so that this could be accomplished.

Again . . thanks for the input!

Brian
Old 08-02-2018, 11:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to Helomech73 Send a message via MSN to Helomech73

Chris Hors is the supervisor of the CMP Custom Shop