Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2017, 03:22 PM

Default What .22lr to simulate a NM AR-15 for practice?

Hi all
I'm thinking of buying/building a .22lr rifle, (to simulate my NM AR-15), to practice with for Service Rifle compitition, mainly to save on ammo costs.

I've priced .22lr uppers for the actual rifle, >$700 if I recall.

I think I can buy/build a whole .22lr for less...What do you think/recommend?

I would also like to use this rifle for CMP sporter compition.

Your thoughts?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He knew war,and was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/
Old 10-11-2017, 06:47 PM

http://www.compasslake.com/index.php...index&cPath=22

They end up being too heavy for rimfire sporter. But are great for practice.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:12 PM

I had a keystone accuracy RF upper for a while and it was a hammer. Actually shot it setup like a space gun for smallbore prone league and held my own. Fed extremely well.

Have a friend with a Compass Lake and it is much more finicky than the Keystone.

The KA upper uses a modified CMMG kit. I believ John will sell you a barrel for $350ish and If you have any spare parts and an upper receiver then get a CMMG kit, remove the chamber part and have fun.

For the money, within a few hundred $$ I get more out of my SCATT.
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
Old 10-11-2017, 11:52 PM

Just buy a CMMG conversion kit and shoot your actual rifle with it. I have one that functions flawlessly in all my AR's.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:27 PM

Default Tried one. Very inaccurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
Just buy a CMMG conversion kit and shoot your actual rifle with it. I have one that functions flawlessly in all my AR's.
I had a conversion unit. IIRC M261
From my experience plus that of others. The units are so inaccurate, except for trigger time they are useless. No usefull feedback.
When Nordic uppers become a available I'll give them a second try too.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich56 View Post
From my experience plus that of others. The units are so inaccurate, except for trigger time they are useless. No usefull feedback.

Accuracy is meaningless for cheap practice with the actual rifle you will be shooting. Who cares where the rounds go when the practice is for other factors, not accuracy? Position training, muscle control and conditioning, trigger control (the bigge), breathing control, etc. My CMMG unit is damn accurate for what it is. With the right ammo at reasonable ranges, surprisingly so. If I shoot really cheap Wally World 22LR in it I get cheap results.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
Accuracy is meaningless for cheap practice with the actual rifle you will be shooting. Who cares where the rounds go when the practice is for other factors, not accuracy? Position training, muscle control and conditioning, trigger control (the bigge), breathing control, etc. My CMMG unit is damn accurate for what it is. With the right ammo at reasonable ranges, surprisingly so. If I shoot really cheap Wally World 22LR in it I get cheap results.
All the things you list could be accomplished by dry firing. Accuracy gives you actual feedback on how well you are performing. Just like firing a centerfire match rifle, but usually cheaper.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich56 View Post

I used a M261 kit for a few years to practice offhand,
had an indoor range close to the house I owned then,

could get quarter sized groups using a A1 profile barrel at what ever distance the range had, (can't remember how deep the indoor range was, 25yrds maybe, )
Old 11-06-2017, 08:00 AM

Default Agree on dry fire

Best my m261 would do is about 3-4 at 25yd. That provided no feedback of my shots were on call. Only good for recocking the hammer. Dry fire practice is a great idea. 61 yr old shooter after 20 year hiatus could use some exercise in standing with +- 10lb Garand and AR.
Do these rifles (M1 and AR) need dry firing devices for extended dry fire practice?
Old 10-13-2017, 10:14 AM

My CLE is identical to my competition rifle except for caliber and high dollar scope. I use Browning 22lr ammo for practice at 25yds and 100 yd prone. The Krieger barrel is a excellent voice but expensive. Keystone makes an excellent product as well.