Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Talladega Marksmanship Park
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo-Sierra View Post
I shot the EIC and Dixie Doubles. While my personal performance was a train wreck, each shot was on call. The targets reacted quickly to respond where my shot went. Not target related but thought Sara R. did a damn good job calling the match.

I also shot the Modern Military match on Saturday, took 1st place in that. CMP staff (Amy is my hero) jumped through hoops to make sure everything went smoothly and it was decided for relay 7/8 to ALL go on the line at the same time with volunteers scoring. Smart move made to shoot while there was still light.

I have been shooting at TMP since they opened. I have LOTS of trigger time there both practice and actual matches. No doubt that there has been trouble with the target system and a lot of finger pointing. Byan P. and others have worked hard to correct it and think they have made some major headway.

I'm not going to get into the "who said what" BS. BUT....E-targets ARE the future and everyone might as well get their head wrapped around that. I just wanna shoot!

respectfully,
Keith Schachle
CMP #126133
DR #2287
High Master XTC
High Master Mid-Range
I verified (scored) for Keith during the Modern Military Match he mentioned above and have to disagree. Clearly there was something wrong with the target system when he was shooting. It seemed like the system kept getting "stuck" on displaying "X's" almost every time he pulled the trigger (in prone ad prone rapid). I got so damned tired of writing "10" in every one of those blocks and filling in those little circles underneath for each X. My doctor says now I probably have carpal tunnel. Clearly it's impossible for anyone to shoot that well in Prone and Prone Rapid, especially with a chicom junker MM AR like he shooting.

I will further prove my point beyond a reasonable doubt. I shot after Keith (he scored) with a genuine CMP USGI M1. I know during the relay change the CMP must have "fixed" the target system, because my score didn't have all those 10's and X's. In fact, it only met the silver medal cut scores.

I've shot (6) "big" events at Talladega, which includes all three 600's, the two GCA events and D-Day. When I register for these events, I shoot every match available on Range 1, plus some on the other ranges as well. I've seen some problems and have been moved just once or twice. In all seriousness (unlike my above paragraphs.....), I've experienced the progress the CMP has made. Although this 600 did not immediately and automatically upload the scoring data of the shooter, it did seem to run better than any of the events I've participated in previously. I surmise the KTS system was run in practice mode for this 600 because the CMP relied on our scorecards, but walking before running is always a good thing. The EIC match ran very well (of course I chose to suck that day and shoot well when it doesn't count, aka Dixie Doubles). I don't know of a 600 yard problem that was experienced.

As far as managing the event, hats off to the CMP group. I also appreciate them making Range time available on Tuesday (evening prior to the EIC) to confirm zeros. The M16 match ran longer than expected and so the CMP kept the Range open longer than scheduled so we could have that opportunity. Thank you.

Also, after the Friday snowstorm, Saturday's events were scheduled to begin at 10:00 am. We got started a bit later (almost 11:00?) but honestly, I have never experienced such a well run efficient Line, schedule, squadding, just the whole dang thing. I had one of the best times in recent memory. That morning I put three rifles on my cart (M1, Vintage & Springfield) and if I had thought a bit more, would've put my M1A on it as well. I shot or scored on every relay, including scoring for two guys on the last relay (7), basically until dusk. I easily got my 3-gun in (and wish it had counted). With the late start, it clearly demonstrated to me the capability of the Range 1 system.

It's expensive to shoot all the matches in the large events. The travel, match fees, lodging, meals, etc.. Based on what I experienced, I look forward to shooting more in less time in the future. In the summer, with more daylight, I can easily see being able to shoot the 4-gun Agg in one day.

It is sad and a shame what happened to the match(es) this thread was started on, and I feel bad for those that competed, especially those that thought they earned points. There is nothing I could add to make that change and for that, I'm sorry.

Progress too often requires a step back here and there, it's just the way it is. I'm thankful we have the CMP that is trying to advance our sport and I'm sure many, many of you are as well. That's why we read and post. Let's continue to help those that help us, namely the CMP. Without them, we have little.

Ken Lore
Old 12-21-2017, 08:22 PM

My. Lore, I am sorry CMP ruined your shooting experience starting 1 hour late for alleged "snow".
I was on the fence wanting to attend, just too many other issues that week.
I will have to attend the next one and share an adult beverage with you, and demonstrate that for me CMP selects the "display completely random, if any, impacts" each and every time.

Your last paragraph sums up my experiences and observations 100%.
JH
Old 12-22-2017, 10:51 AM

The guy calling the pistol matches was outstanding this year. He was very efficient. Got everyone in and out quickly. Made the pistol matches an absolute joy to be a part of. He really deserves some credit. I think Sara R. was in there with him too.

This was an outstanding Talladega 600, apart from skidding twice driving up Saturday morning due to icy roads. I just about needed a sedative and an underwear change after that drive.

My only gripe, and a very minor one, is that we need two sheets of competitor labels in our packets, not just one.

Glad to see rifles and ammo out for purchase, and I was glad that White Oak Armament had a table out too. Love their stuff.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:57 AM

Ken, I cracked up when I read your post. I was shooting some of those Top Secret “x-ring seeking bullets”, well...until we went offhand. Obviously I switched to some other ammo at that point. HaHa...thanks for the shout out and look forward to shooting with you again.
Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3StrikesNC View Post
I verified (scored) for Keith during the Modern Military Match he mentioned above and have to disagree. Clearly there was something wrong with the target system when he was shooting. It seemed like the system kept getting "stuck" on displaying "X's" almost every time he pulled the trigger (in prone ad prone rapid). I got so damned tired of writing "10" in every one of those blocks and filling in those little circles underneath for each X. My doctor says now I probably have carpal tunnel. Clearly it's impossible for anyone to shoot that well in Prone and Prone Rapid, especially with a chicom junker MM AR like he shooting.

I will further prove my point beyond a reasonable doubt. I shot after Keith (he scored) with a genuine CMP USGI M1. I know during the relay change the CMP must have "fixed" the target system, because my score didn't have all those 10's and X's. In fact, it only met the silver medal cut scores.

I've shot (6) "big" events at Talladega, which includes all three 600's, the two GCA events and D-Day. When I register for these events, I shoot every match available on Range 1, plus some on the other ranges as well. I've seen some problems and have been moved just once or twice. In all seriousness (unlike my above paragraphs.....), I've experienced the progress the CMP has made. Although this 600 did not immediately and automatically upload the scoring data of the shooter, it did seem to run better than any of the events I've participated in previously. I surmise the KTS system was run in practice mode for this 600 because the CMP relied on our scorecards, but walking before running is always a good thing. The EIC match ran very well (of course I chose to suck that day and shoot well when it doesn't count, aka Dixie Doubles). I don't know of a 600 yard problem that was experienced.

As far as managing the event, hats off to the CMP group. I also appreciate them making Range time available on Tuesday (evening prior to the EIC) to confirm zeros. The M16 match ran longer than expected and so the CMP kept the Range open longer than scheduled so we could have that opportunity. Thank you.

Also, after the Friday snowstorm, Saturday's events were scheduled to begin at 10:00 am. We got started a bit later (almost 11:00?) but honestly, I have never experienced such a well run efficient Line, schedule, squadding, just the whole dang thing. I had one of the best times in recent memory. That morning I put three rifles on my cart (M1, Vintage & Springfield) and if I had thought a bit more, would've put my M1A on it as well. I shot or scored on every relay, including scoring for two guys on the last relay (7), basically until dusk. I easily got my 3-gun in (and wish it had counted). With the late start, it clearly demonstrated to me the capability of the Range 1 system.

It's expensive to shoot all the matches in the large events. The travel, match fees, lodging, meals, etc.. Based on what I experienced, I look forward to shooting more in less time in the future. In the summer, with more daylight, I can easily see being able to shoot the 4-gun Agg in one day.

It is sad and a shame what happened to the match(es) this thread was started on, and I feel bad for those that competed, especially those that thought they earned points. There is nothing I could add to make that change and for that, I'm sorry.

Progress too often requires a step back here and there, it's just the way it is. I'm thankful we have the CMP that is trying to advance our sport and I'm sure many, many of you are as well. That's why we read and post. Let's continue to help those that help us, namely the CMP. Without them, we have little.

Ken Lore

Keith Schachle

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
NRA Midrange - High Master
CMP XTC Service Rifle - Master
CMP Master Instructor
Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade