Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2010, 11:11 AM

Default Recommend a book for 03a3

Gents,

I've had a nice SC sitting in the safe now for a while and with X-mas coming up, I figure I'll have the wife buy me a reference book for it (something similar to Duff's garand books?). Which book would you recommend that would allow me to verify parts on the rifle? Thanks!

TJ
Old 12-04-2010, 11:27 AM

Uncertain if one exists. I have Brophy's hardcover on the 1903s, but it is nowhere are close to orderly parts-wise as Duff's Garand books. I also have a softcover that I picked up for my dad, which is more of a history of the 1903 book.

I have both the Garand and 1903 books by J C HARRISON, but his work was notoriously inaccurate.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:13 PM

Poyers' book goes part by part, but it just isn't accurate, many mistakes. Others will soon tell you, it is not recommended.

Canfields book, "An Illustrated Guide to the '03 Springfield Service Rifle", is a good read. While maybe not 100% accurate, nothing is.

It is a quick reference, too. Some good production charts in the back. Good pics. Covers alot. But not a part by part kinda book. Still highly recommended.