Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2018, 10:50 PM

Received three M1s today from the CMP. Two showed up with broken cases. One with the muzzle busting through the end and the other with a crack/hole where the op-rod is. These cases are unfortunately junk.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:19 PM

Unfortunately true. The Plano was marginal, the Flambeau is inadequate.

While i understand and appreciate the 'residual value' concept of the hard rifle case, these inexpensive cases simply were not designed for shipping a 10 pound rifle.

Handling by FDX is what it is. Everything that goes through that system needs to be packaged to survive a 6 foot drop. Why? Because of automated sorting equipment. The people don't actually throw the stuff, the packages roll off conveyors into bins. As for crush strength, consider that a rifle case could well end up on the bottom of a shipping container and have 2,500 pounds of stuff piled on top of it.

Expandable foam is the answer. This would mold to the various protrusions of the rifle and hold it tightly. Sturdy boxes are available for the outer pack, anyone who has ordered ammunition from Academy Sports appreciates the strong boxes they use.

I recently received an iMac packaged in expandable foam. It's as heavy and unwieldy as an M1 but arrived intact.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8232J View Post
Expandable foam is the answer. This would mold to the various protrusions of the rifle and hold it tightly. Sturdy boxes are available for the outer pack, anyone who has ordered ammunition from Academy Sports appreciates the strong boxes they use. I recently received an iMac packaged in expandable foam. It's as heavy and unwieldy as an M1 but arrived intact.
CMP already uses expandable foam to pack items like bayonets.

I'm what you'd call a legend in my own mind.

2071 posts on the old forum - not that I'm counting . . .
Old 08-09-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbus1300 View Post
I could give a ******** about the cheesy case. More the muzzle getting drug on the concrete.
And CMP sending out a new empty case would do what exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbus1300 View Post
Could care less about the case if it did its job. I’ve got many of the green cases with the cardboard torn up and clearly abused and there were no issues with the case or the rifle.

This isnt about cost, its about an inferior replacement for what they were previously shipping rifles in.
They were previously shipping in boxes with foam. You should really redirect your ire to the shipping services than CMP. Have you ever thought to contact FedEx about the individual incidents?
edit: you are there and looking at the boxes as you are signing for them. You have every right to refuse delivery or file a damage report.

Last edited by Fogtripper; 08-09-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogtripper View Post

They were previously shipping in boxes with foam. You should really redirect your ire to the shipping services than CMP. Have you ever thought to contact FedEx about the individual incidents?
edit: you are there and looking at the boxes as you are signing for them. You have every right to refuse delivery or file a damage report.
You're right, but it's the wrong angle to attack the problem from.

The FDX shipping service (P1, declared firearm) is heavily, and I mean HEAVILY, discounted to CMP. It makes shipping affordable.

FDX is not going to redesign their system around these complaints. I doubt that given the packaging failure that CMP would recover from FDX. Their discount contract may prohibit that anyway.

Complain too much, and the cost of shipping will go up.

The packaging needs to be adequate to survive the FDX system.

Last edited by N8232J; 08-09-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
And CMP sending out a new empty case would do what exactly?
He already said that he didn't care about the case, only the rifle.

Quote:
The issue is that the CMP is using inadequate and insufficient packaging for shipping their product. If a complaint to the shipper is made, his complete and automatic defense is "The article was inadequately packaged for shipping and we are not to blame."

Looking at the three shipping systems:

1. Heavy cardboard box with foam. I have 20-30 or so in storage, no failures. I have read of a few over the years since I started buying from CMP in 2009.

2. Thin cardboard, green case, foam. Again I have 20-30 in storage, no failures. I have read of broken latches, but do not recall reading of rifles breaking though case and cardboard. The cardboard is more fragile than the previous box. However, it still protects the case.

3. Thin cardboard, tan case, foam. I have none of the tan cases, since the quality of rifles fell off and I haven't bought one in the Store or by mail since the CMP started using them. Thank goodness. Reports indicate that rifles are breaking through the case and cardboard, protruding from the packaging. This would be to me unacceptable.

FedEx can rightfully claim that it is CMP's choice of packaging that is at fault, not the rigors of the shipping. The previous packaging systems had very few failures; the current one has started having catastrophic failures.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelap View Post
He already said that he didn't care about the case, only the rifle.

The issue is that the CMP is using inadequate and insufficient packaging for shipping their product. If a complaint to the shipper is made, his complete and automatic defense is "The article was inadequately packaged for shipping and we are not to blame."

1. Heavy cardboard box with foam. I have 20-30 or so in storage, no failures. I have read of a few over the years since I started buying from CMP in 2009.

2. Thin cardboard, green case, foam. Again I have 20-30 in storage, no failures. I have read of broken latches, but do not recall reading of rifles breaking though case and cardboard. The cardboard is more fragile than the previous box. However, it still protects the case.

3. Thin cardboard, tan case, foam. I have none of the tan cases, since the quality of rifles fell off and I haven't bought one in the Store or by mail since the CMP started using them. Thank goodness. Reports indicate that rifles are breaking through the case and cardboard, protruding from the packaging. This would be to me unacceptable.

FedEx can rightfully claim that it is CMP's choice of packaging that is at fault, not the rigors of the shipping. The previous packaging systems had very few failures; the current one has started having catastrophic failures.
This does seem to be the case. I don't remember ever having any issues with rifles breaking through the boxes with foam. Definitely never had any issues with the dark green cases as they always arrived in tact.

Thankfully, the one I just received with the muzzle breaking through the case did not break the cardboard box. Front sight on the rifle kept it from breaking all the way through and out of the tan plastic case. However, receiving 2 out of 3 with broken cases is not a good percentage given how many the CMP ships out across the country.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:18 PM
Banned

I think this sums it up nicely and to the point, Now what needs to be asked is what was the problem CMP and the maker of the green cases were having and can it be resolved so we can go back to something that's intact when it arrives at the door? As the old saying goes if you're on a good horse stay on it for crying out loud.

lap;1743451]He already said that he didn't care about the case, only the rifle.

FedEx can rightfully claim that it is CMP's choice of packaging that is at fault, not the rigors of the shipping. The previous packaging systems had very few failures; the current one has started having catastrophic failures.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-09-2018, 09:18 PM

If the case was so obviously busted up - WHY??? did you sign for it from FedEx ??? Hmm???

Please cut the folks at the CMP a break , lawd have mercy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"The strange American ardor for passing laws, the insane belief in regulation and punishment, plays into the hands of the reformers, most of them quacks themselves. Their efforts, even when honest, seldom accomplish any appreciable good..." -H.L. Mencken
Old 08-10-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
If the case was so obviously busted up - WHY??? did you sign for it from FedEx ??? Hmm???

Please cut the folks at the CMP a break , lawd have mercy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You expect the Fedex guy to wait around while I open several boxes, pull the cases out to inspect all elements, and then give him the clearance to go?

Not to mention, we the people work and the good wife signs for them.