Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2020, 10:12 AM

Default Any Reports for 6/25?

My son and I will be there tomorrow. Any reports, particularly related to bolt guns would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-25-2020, 12:22 PM

Was there today at 930. No SA service grade, maybe 10 Winnie Service no WRA barrels. 5 Krags, no carbines. A couple of drills and 1 or two Cs and Ds. Maybe 15 A3s and 20 or so straight 03s. Also around 10 1917s. Lots of field grades, SA and Winnie. Also a nice group of IHC service grade. Maybe 10. My son picked up a nice 1917 Remington with correct barrel and correct 1903 mark 1. I picked up service grade Winnie with Winchester barrel. Nice store and nice folks. Well run.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:30 PM

Sounds like you guys did very well.
Thanks for the report.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitGarandGuy View Post
maybe 10 Winnie Service no WRA barrels... I picked up service grade Winnie with Winchester barrel.
Is that Winchester barrel a post war replacement Winchester script barrel?
Old 06-25-2020, 05:11 PM

FWIW, Bob said the last of the Krag's and M1917's are out on the racks.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:22 PM

Original barrel. In the white. Also uncut -9SA oprod.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:03 AM

I went to the north store yesterday afternoon.
My main mission was to buy a Krag, which I accomplished. Now there are only 4 Krags left.
My rifle is rather nice looking, with a shinny bore, model 1898.

For those who keep track of numbers, its serial number is 383,274.

Unfortunately things went sour when I got home and started cleaning it .

My rifle was missing the safety. I was so focused on the bore and external condition that I missed it. Can't imagine how that got past CMP inspectors.
Probably no use complaining, the odds of CMP having a Krag safety is about zero.
Hope I don't find any other problems.
Anyone have a Krag saftey they don't need???
Jim C
Old 06-26-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim C 351 View Post
My rifle was missing the safety. I was so focused on the bore and external condition that I missed it. Can't imagine how that got past CMP inspectors.
Probably no use complaining, the odds of CMP having a Krag safety is about zero.
Hope I don't find any other problems.
Anyone have a Krag saftey they don't need???
Jim C
CMP is not a (purchase as is kind of organization). I would definitely contact them and Iím sure they will make it right!!
Old 06-26-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitGarandGuy View Post
Was there today at 930. No SA service grade, maybe 10 Winnie Service no WRA barrels. 5 Krags, no carbines. A couple of drills and 1 or two Cs and Ds. Maybe 15 A3s and 20 or so straight 03s. Also around 10 1917s. Lots of field grades, SA and Winnie. Also a nice group of IHC service grade. Maybe 10. My son picked up a nice 1917 Remington with correct barrel and correct 1903 mark 1. I picked up service grade Winnie with Winchester barrel. Nice store and nice folks. Well run.
I was there yesterday (Thursday, 6/25) - drove 900 miles round trip to do this. I made an appointment on June 5th to be there yesterday - was #1 in line at 8:30 am. About three (3) others were allowed in with me at that time - several showed up without appointments and were put on the waitlist. You can try to get in the store that way, but if you drove as far as I did, I wouldn't recommend it.

The new store has a direct entrance to the outside of the building, in between the large room where match registration takes place and the PX. Although the interior space is obviously smaller than the old location, I was pleasantly surprised with the overall appearance of the store. Given the probable stock levels of rifles in the future, the new store probably makes more sense. I have not been to the South Store, but from the pictures I have seen, the new North Store appears to be larger.

The only real gripe I have concerns the parking - since most of the parking behind the building always seems to have been reserved for employees, etc., most customers will need to park in the areas adjacent to the huts and Commercial Row. It wasn't a problem this year (of course), but assuming the Matches resume next year, you will have to compete for parking with shooters participating in match events; those going to Commercial Row; the folks staying in the huts; etc.

Apologize in advance for the relative lack of detail on this report, but with a 30 minute time limit in the store and the need to pay attention to those rifles I was interested in buying, I couldn't spare a lot of attention to those that I wasn't interested in acquiring.

First rack inside the store were WRA SGs (full at that moment) - I picked up an early SN (150,xxx) with a WRA barrel and CMP wood. (Didn't see much in the way of WRA SGs with USGI wood.) Also looked at WRA FGs - several had GI wood, including at least one WIN-13.

Full racks of the other types - M1917, M1903A3, M1903, SA SGs and FGs (not sure about HRA), IHC SGs (most if not all with CMP wood - many LMR barrels). About 4-5 Krag SGs were in a separate circular rack near the cashier's window, plus some snipers (M1C/D).

I think there were also some Specials but didn't pay too much attention to them. I agree with several others who have posted on the forums - if you're not looking for a collector's item but want a good shooter, those rack grade Specials are hard to beat! There was also a small number (4-5?) of SAs with 6,XXX,XXX SNs.

As far as bolt guns went, picked up a nice M1917 SG WRA w/ WRA barrel and a 1903 Remington (early WWII model). About 03A3s, I got the impression that the North Store may be running out of them, but apparently a lot of 1903s may still be on hand (same regarding the M1s).

BTW, CMP now supplies a nice hard case (new design) for bolt guns - similar in external appearance to the M1 cases but are simply foam-lined on the inside; this is an improvement from the old practice of packaging the bolt gun in a green plastic bag! (I think others have already noticed the new black custom-fitted hard cases for the M1 Garands.)

Also, there are several racks of T-shirts from the 2019 National Matches (various events and sizes). For each rifle you purchase, you get a free t-shirt (value $5.00). The Creedmore ammo sale (discount) is also offered with each rifle purchase.

One last thing - for some reason, on a large sign visible through the (glass) main entrance door, CMP has posted the following notice: "CMP DOES NOT SELL TO CONVICTED FELONS!" Makes me wonder who is showing up to CMP to try to buy a rifle. (As we all know, felons have been prohibited from buying or possessing firearms under Federal law since at least 1968.)

Last edited by The Garandster; 06-26-2020 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Added comments about SA 6 mil.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:44 AM

Planning to drive from eastern PA to the North Store in August.
Best to have an appointment or not?