Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2020, 01:09 PM

Default NS visit 7-2-20

This is the first time I have physically been to the north store in about 5 years. The new store seems to be approximately the same retail space as the old store. If it is smaller, it is not by much.

I had an appointment, and was lucky enough to be one of the first 5-6 into the store. (I donít remember the number of people, but it was either 5 or 6 they let in at a time. I did not do much of a count on bolt guns, I wasnít really there for those. But, Iíll put what I remember. I think there are 24 rifles on each side of a rack (I will call the one side a rack).

One rack (24ish rifles) of Winchester service grade. I did not see a single Winchester barrel, and I was looking pretty hard for one. It is possible one was sold in the first few minutes that I missed. A few had LMR barrels, so if you were looking for a good shooting Winchester, this may have worked for you. Most had new wood, no Winchester stocks. The few GI stocks were nothing impressive, GI wood. There was one guy buying his first Garand that I helped pick out a win 13. Bob agreed it was the Service grade in the store he thought was the best. It was a very nice looking gun with a Springfield barrel that I picked up myself four or five times debating aboutÖ But I couldnít buy them all.

One rack of Winchester field grade. I saw two Winchester barrelsÖ I was greedy and bought both (itís been 5 years, so I didnít feel too greedy). All USGI wood...but some was ROUGH, pinned together, cracked, etc. There was one with really nice tiger striping that I picked up several times, but ultimately decided against because the metal looked rough (The stock had been sanded in the past, with all markings gone. So you could sand that one and make it look beautiful without being heartbroken over ruining originality, the metal may clean up nice with some work). I saw one solid DAS Stamp, and a couple sanded over DAS Stamps. One decent EMCF Stamp, that I looked at a couple times, but ended up leaving for the next guy. A couple with sanded springfield World War II illegible cartouche stamps. Several rebuild Stamps. One open box SA stamp, but no screw holes for a sniper cheek pad).

One rack of international Harvester service grade. Several had LMR barrels most had new wood. I looked, but did not see any Overton stocks on them. The couple GI stocks on them were nothing impressive (average, or below average). One Winchester gas cylinder. (I saw two Winchester gas cylinders, and cannot remember if they were both on international HarvesterĎs, or one may have been on a Winchester service grade).

Two or three 6 million serial number Springfield.

Five or six Springfield rack grade specials. I bought a six digit rack grade special with a fair amount of pitting below the wood line, and a little visible above the wood line, but overall a nice looking gun for the price. There were one or two very late Springfield in the rack grade specials, 5.8 or 5.9 million. There is also an earlier 4 million serial number and maybe a couple from World War II that I really didnít pay much attention to.

A whole rack of service grade specials that I only glanced over momentarily.

There were two drill rifles, one with an uncut Springfield six, or nine oprod.. Besides that, nothing special.

Two or three international Harvester field grade rifles that I did not spend much time looking at (one or two hackberry stocks). A few M1C and M1D in various grades I did not spend time on.

I did not see a single set of lock bar sights in the store out of over 100 M1ís.

I will try to post some pictures later today so you can get a rough ballpark on condition of inventory.

About half of the store was bolt action guns. I know there was one Krag left at approximately 10 AM. I know it had the original 1896 cartouche stock in good shape. I really did not spend much time looking at the bolt guns, I like M1ís and I figured other people would be more appreciative of having the chance to buy the bolt guns.

I did not feel like the staff was rushing me or anything, but knowing there were 10 people standing outside when you walked in waiting for the opportunity to get inside as soon as you leave makes you feel a little guilty of spending too much time inside. I would have broken down several more rifles if there is not a line outside waiting to get in. With the current situation, I donít think the CMP could do it any better than what they are doing.

When I made the appointment on the phone I believe it was Melissa who told me they would be refilling the racks periodically throughout the day to make sure everyone had an opportunity to buy the varieties they had in stock.

Hopefully this helps someone, I appreciated the updates before deciding to make the eight hour round trip shopping spree! Good luck! Ė Tom

Last edited by mattawan; 07-03-2020 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:29 PM

Default NS Visit 07/02/2020

Thanks you for the excellent report on your visit to the NS. Do they have any of the Phillipine Returns on the racks ??
Tks,
bob32268
Old 07-03-2020, 03:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob32268 View Post
Thanks you for the excellent report on your visit to the NS. Do they have any of the Phillipine Returns on the racks ??
Tks,
bob32268
Since it's been over two years since CMP has received them, I would think that the majority(if not all) of SG's and FG's would be Philippine returns that would currently be in the racks. Since CMP no longer identifies the country they were returned from on the COA, there is no way to know exactly where they came from.
Also, the PI returns were only Garands, according to Mark Johnson.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:20 PM

Default NS Visit 07/02/2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
Since it's been over two years since CMP has received them, I would think that the majority(if not all) of SG's and FG's would be Philippine returns that would currently be in the racks. Since CMP no longer identifies the country they were returned from on the COA, there is no way to know exactly where they came from.
Also, the PI returns were only Garands, according to Mark Johnson.
Thanks for the info.....I was thinking along this line also.
Tks,
Bob32268
Old 07-10-2020, 01:43 PM

As promised, here are a few photos of the ones I bought. (Better late than never).

https://imgur.com/a/7axNz8l
Old 07-10-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattawan View Post
As promised, here are a few photos of the ones I bought. (Better late than never).

https://imgur.com/a/7axNz8l
Trifecta!!
Old 07-10-2020, 08:58 PM

Any Krags left?
Old 07-10-2020, 09:29 PM

There was one Krag left at 10am when I left on 7-2...I was told they would be re-stocking the racks throughout the day if they had any left in back if a model that sold out on the floor. (I do not know if they had any Krags left in back).