Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2018, 10:17 PM

Fort McHenry is in Baltimore. 'Rockets red glare, bombs bursting in air...'
Yep - our flag is still there.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:10 PM

We use to go to Polock Johnnies for a polish sausage on Baltimore st.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:48 AM

Go to the Lexington Market House for some of the best crab cakes in Baltimore, also Bertha's mussels if close to Inner Harbor.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:56 AM

My mother's sister lived in Baltimore and we would drive up from Ft. Eustis to visit often. We visited Ft. McHenry, which I enjoyed, but that was in the 50's.
My Aunt's husband had his own TV repair shop in the basement of their row house. He also had a pinball machine in the basement that I didn't have to put coins in. I was in Heaven!
There was a Mom and Pop's grocery store on the corner that we would go to and buy sweet rolls every morning for breakfast.
My father and uncle ( I've since learned from Ancestry.com that he wasn't my uncle, but the husband of my aunt.) would drink beer and eat raw oysters in the kitchen.
So, that's my memories of Baltimore: My father and uncle-who-wasn't eating raw oysters and drinking beer, eating sweet rolls for breakfast, and a pinball machine that I could play for hours and hours for free. What a great time!
Old 01-23-2018, 11:38 AM

I second all of the recommendations if you are limited by time or vehicle to the city itself. If not, however, you aren't that far from either Antietam or Gettysburg, maybe an hour and a half away at most to Gettysburg.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:47 PM

IIRC, at the Inner Harbor is an exquisite (expensive) but great food restaurant called the Hardrock Cafe. Phillips Seafood House is more affordable but has good seafood, too.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:59 AM

some of these suggestions do not reflect the current gang and crime situation in baltimore.

You might want to ask some of the guys at mdshooters.com about suggestions.

Lexington market is a violent disaster now days.......attacks are up in the inner harbor. Keep your head on a swivel....
Old 01-24-2018, 08:21 PM

So far so good. I went to the inner harbor yesterday and did some stuff. I got to see a couple of guys I was in Corps with many years ago. One just ate dinner with us and one took me all over town this morning showing me stuff. I ate mussels at Bertha's.....prob won't do that again but at least I can say I did it. Lotsa beggers downtown in this area. I was kinda surprised that the city allows that.
The bother in law is taking us down to the Museum of the Marine Corps tomorrow then flying out on Friday.

Thanks for all the heads up.

Fortes Fortuna juvat

2nd Bn, 3rd Marines

Buy now worry about later, later.--Bob Moore, 12/10

My feedback thread http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ghlight=dstout 50+ positives before it was destroyed
Old 01-24-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmsparks View Post
some of these suggestions do not reflect the current gang and crime situation in baltimore.

You might want to ask some of the guys at mdshooters.com about suggestions.

Lexington market is a violent disaster now days.......attacks are up in the inner harbor. Keep your head on a swivel....
I suggest going to the IH during daylight hours and not at night. Going as a group and not alone would be recommended.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstout View Post
So far so good. I went to the inner harbor yesterday and did some stuff. I got to see a couple of guys I was in Corps with many years ago. One just ate dinner with us and one took me all over town this morning showing me stuff. I ate mussels at Bertha's.....prob won't do that again but at least I can say I did it. Lotsa beggers downtown in this area. I was kinda surprised that the city allows that.
The bother in law is taking us down to the Museum of the Marine Corps tomorrow then flying out on Friday.

Thanks for all the heads up.
Thanks for the feedback. Glad your trip to IH was enjoyable.