X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Culpeper
    • Oct 2009

6.5-06 Garand

Do any of you fellas know if there has ever been a 6.5mm-06 conversion for the M1?

Is it even doable or does it run up against powder problems?
    The Liberty Works Radio Network
  • bruce
    • Nov 2009

Without doubt someone somewhere has done it. IIRC, Springfield Armory once sold their M-1's chambered in both .308 and .243 Winchester as well as the standard .30-06. The M-1 was originally designed around a .276 Pederson round. There is no reason powder selection should be a problem. You would need to do some reading to see what options best suited the case capacity, velocity, bullet weight, etc. JMHO. HTH. Sincerely. bruce.
    <><

Comment

• NAMVET1970
      • Sep 2014

6.5mm-06

You talking about this?:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5-06_A-Square

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/65-06-a-square/
      Last edited by NAMVET1970; 01-21-2019, 10:04 PM. Reason: added LOAD DATA

Comment

• s11033
        • Oct 2013

Hey!

One of the guys in my group buy just told me about your post.

We're doing a run of Garand barrels in 6.5x55 (6.5 Swede). Would you be interested in that caliber instead? J&G sales is selling wooden blanks for 2 cents a pop. If you tumble them, pull the wooden bullet and dump the fast powder, you end up with good primed brass for less than the cost of just primers!

If you're not interested in 6.5x55, we could have the barrel contoured but unchambered. That way you can have a gunsmith chamber it for whatever cartridge you want and install it for you.

PM me if interested.

Steve

Comment

• Culpeper
          • Oct 2009

The reason I asked is I've taken a moderate interest in the Charles Newton's .256 cartridge. From there I found out about the 6.5 -06 wildcat round being the next step after his company went belly up. Of course it was a hop, skip and a jump to that certain video location that is clamping down on things related to arms. I found a long range shooter with a rifle who shot a milk jug at fifteen hundred yards with a bolt action rifle. Now I am not one to have unrealitic expectations about performance of different cartridges in the M1 but it crossed my mind if it was an aught six based round then why not in a Garand? Who knows it might be a tack driver at two hundred yards. It would surely be a rifle of a different color to say the least.

Hence the madness.

What could happen? I would tilt at a windmill with my side kick Sancho and spend a few bucks in 2019.

So if the 6.5-06 A-Square is the 6.5-06 wildcat by another name then I'm in for the ride.
          Last edited by Culpeper; 01-22-2019, 08:33 AM.
          The Liberty Works Radio Network

Comment

• andyman
            • May 2010

I would take the 6.5x55 swede with a fantastic reputation over an 06 wildcat any day. The 6.5 Swede has a huge following for a reason.

6.5-06 seems like it would be a hassle and you would just end up with a likely poorer performing cartridge and rifle than other options like a 6.5x55 Garand.

Comment

Working...
            X