Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > EIC Pistol
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2017, 10:05 AM

Default 9mm ammo

Picked up a Springfield Range Officer 9mm to start learning the pistol game. What is the common weight\brand of factory used? And what type\weight approved bullet seems to be working best?
Old 07-13-2017, 08:29 AM

Not an easy question to answer. The 1911 in 9mm is new for EIC matches this year, so up til now, no one has been using that particular pistol in EIC matches. Common bullet weights are 115 and 124 grain.

In my many (too many) years of shooting Bullseye, I have only seen one 9mm 1911 on the line for the center fire match. That guy found that his best results were with factory Blazer (brass case) ammo. I believe he was using their 124 grain load. He could not get his reloads to shoot as well as the factory Blazer.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:25 PM

Will give the Blazer 124 a try.

Worse case scenario....if it doesn't work out...will have to get a 45 RO...oh woe is me
Old 07-13-2017, 03:23 PM

Old 07-13-2017, 07:01 PM

PPC shooters have been launching 9mm 50 yards accurately for several years. The consensus seems to be a JHP. Some prefer the 147gr. subsonic others gravitate toward the 124gr range. Michigan Ammo Co. in Ecorse, MI used to manufacture a “Distinguished” 9mm load I believe it used a 121 or 124gr. Montana Gold JHP that was very accurate out to 50 yards.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:50 PM

Depends on the rifling twist in the barrels.
My Performance Center PPC-9 S&W guns have 1-18 3/8" twist, same as .38revolvers. They shoot the 115-124gr bullets more accurately. I concentrated on the 115gr bullets as they remain supersonic beyond 50yds.

Indeed, like with mil spec ball ammo contrasted to commercial match rifle amm, jacketed hollow point ammo from premium bullet manufacturers are the most accurate. My 5" PPC-9 came from the factory with a 5-shot group fired from a ransom rest with target signed by Tom Gordon, the chief armorer at the Performance Ctr. The ammo was Federal 115gr 9B now called the "Classic" 25yd group measures .478". On another forum, I was accused of being full of "green garden fertilizer" by a moderator... Till I posted a scanned copy of the target. I got a PM apology...

My experience is that the most accurate 115 and 125gr bullets are the Sierra JHP's. If restricted to FMJ, likewise the Sierra's. Close on the heels of the Sierra's, are the Nosler 115 and 125gr JHP's (neither Sierra or Nosler make a 147gr... tell you something???). and Hornady's.
Which bullet you use will be determined by YOUR gun. I believe SA uses a 1/16" twist. Your gun may like the Hornady 147gr XTP which is the ubiquitous "147" in PPC.

Added: realized I forgot the Speer GoldDots. They are good, rate with the Hornady's and Nosler. However, they weren't available for several years, and are EXPENSIVE when you find them.

I used to shoot a lot of Remington 115jhp's because Precision Delta loaded its match factory ammo with them before he became a Winchester "jobber" and then started using bulk Hornady XTP's. They now produce their own bullets and I can't speak for their accuracy. The speed games shooters think a 6"group at 25yds is accurate, so you can't go by their recommendations.
Now that any ammo is allowed in PPC except wadcutters in service and distinguished matches, I use a cast 105gr SWC, except for regional or nationals. Then of course I use Sierra's....

Powders are the "usual" suspects. Bullseye or HP38, followed by Winchester SuperFeild, etc.

Factory ammo, Federal HST rules the roost.

If I wanted to see what your RO will do, I'd start with 115gr Sierra JHP, at 1.050" oal, over 4.8gr HP38/Win231, Starline brass, Federal 100 primer.
My 147 load was 4.3gr WSF under a Hornady 147 XTP @ 1.125"oal.
Good luck!

Last edited by GooseGestapo; 08-09-2017 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Realized I'd left out the Gold Dots