Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2017, 07:51 AM

Default Kingston 22 M1

Clarification on 100 meter testing.
The silhouette swingers was a half size Ram.
As previously noted the rifle was shooting very far right with centered rear sight,adjusted front and rear sight to hit center hold.
After mounting the Leupold 6.5x 20 EFR scope.
Initial shots were very far right also and low.
Using all available left windage and up elevation the rifle was still 2 feet right and a foot low.
Since any testing beyond 40 yds was impractical,group testing of ammo was done at this distance.
I could have probably shimmed the mount to accommodate for elevation and maybe installed Burris posi rings inserts to correct windage but did not.
There was no cleaning between groups or any foulers of next ammo between groups.
Ammo results;test target was a 1" grid target and based on that for measurements.
10 shot groups
CCI std velocity 1-1/4
SK std plus 1"
SK rifle match 9 shots in 1/2" with 1 shot 1/4" lower
SK HV 1-1/4
Eley Club 1-1/2
Eley match extra 2"
Win HV 8 shots 1-1/2 with 2 fliers increased to 3"
REM HV 2"
FED HV 1-1/4
Using Ruger factory mags helped with failure to feed and jams but not 100 percent of the time.
I will inquire the manufacturer about the extreme far right problem.
In conclusion I like the rifle very much,the trigger is perfect.
I now will disassemble the rifle,clean and lube thoroughly and look for possible barrel contact and stock fit.
If anything arises in that respect I will post.
I hope this helps anyone interested in this rifle.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:05 PM

Default Kingston Armory M1 22

Part 3
Disassembled the rifle after finding Ruger website to do so as no owners manual was provided.
There are 2 set screws that hold the false gas cylinder on and they were not very tight.I maybe possible to rotate this gas cylinder and front sight some to move point of aim.( To be tested.)
There are also 2 sockethead Allen screws that hold the barrel to the receiver and they were also loose.I am thinking that it maybe possible to tighten one side or other to align the barrel more.( to be tested)
I tried to contact the manufacturer but no one answers the phone.
I called the dealer to get some advice and he has the same problem calling the manufacturer.
The dealer was interested in the problem but did not seem too familiar with the rifle to advise.
Rifle is now cleaned and ready for more testing using the adjustments previously mentioned.
Anyone knowing about 10-22 Rugers please advise.
Stay tuned.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:25 PM

Thanks, BBG, for the update.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:52 PM

back when I bought mine a few months ago the manufacturer did answer the phone but it was a friday and late in the day and the parts person had already gone home as I wanted a spare magazine ( i know a 10/22 mag works but I want one with the baseplate on it).
Old 08-23-2017, 04:16 PM

Default Kingston Armory M1 22

Part4
Testing today revealed that sight misalignment may or was caused by screws being loose.
Rifle was shooting extreme right in previous test.
I tightened the left screw that attaches barrel to receiver first with right one loose in hopes that it would draw impact to left.It did.
I recentered the rear sight and tweaked the front so it is now good to go.
At 50 yards off a bag rest with CCI standard velocity,using a 6:00 hold and
12 clicks up from bottom it shot an 1-1/2 10 shot group open sights 2 inches up from point of aim.
The tightening of the false gas cylinder may also have helped.
After cleaning and lube of rifle.The very first shot failed to fire.After that it failed to feed the first shot again.There were no other fail to fire or feed after that and 30 rounds fired.
I am satisfied that the misaligned sights could be corrected.
Failed to feed or fire I suspect might be corrected after a good breakin time and testing for preferred ammo HV vs standard types.
Stay tuned.Any questions or results of your own please share here.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shack357 View Post
Been wanting one since I heard they were coming-just may have to sell one of my Marlins and order one!
Sell a Marlin to buy a Ruger, sacrilegious I tell you
Old 08-26-2017, 02:23 PM

Carbineone,if it's a Marlin 39A I maybe interested.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:45 AM

Bought my first Ruger 10/22 and quickly found that there are some pretty easy & effective mods you can do you help the rifle with occasional FTF, FTE's, etc. One such mod I just did involves hammering a 3/32" steel roll pin down vertically on top of the firing pin to stop upward movement. It needs to be cut to size and placed where its front is flush with the bolt face. I added a blob of JB Weld to keep it in place.. The inherent Ruger design lends the firing pin to be able to rise vertically, out of its purchase and cause light hits or misfires. Hammering this roll pin down in the groove so its a frog's fur above the firing pin negates this. I added a $14 Volquartsen extractor off of Ebay, polished all internals, and the rifle is a %100 Swiss watch now with no FTF's or FTE"s, etc..

Pic below shows the pin about to get hammered into place.

Last edited by 218bee; 08-28-2017 at 01:53 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:41 AM

Default 22 m1

Posted under Garands was the news that Kingston Armory was going out of business.
Sorry news.