Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakhamr81 View Post
The only parkerized bolts I've seen have been Remington.
With all due respect, factory-original Remington bolts were never parkerized.

Stay safe!

J.B.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakhamr81 View Post
In the article below it states that during rebuilds the Marines would specifically request blued B2 replacement bolts. Was it standard to finish bolts with blueing or was the finish specifically requested by the Marines?

The majority of replacement bolts I've seen have been blued regardless of the code. The only parkerized bolts I've seen have been Remington.

https://usmcweaponry.com/pre-war-wwii-usmc-m1903s/
A lot of the replacement bolts did have a type of blueing. In the docs the Marines requested the rebuilt or replacement bolts blued or in a finish called Petrude. My spelling might be wrong on that word.

But the reason they state they wanted them in that blue/black finish is because not only would they cycle better but it was mostly a safety thing.

They did state that Parked bolts when worn would cycle just as well as the blued/black ones. But the problem with parked bolts is it would actually created a film on the bolt face when first parked. So when first done, this film would cause the rifle to headspace correctly. But as they fired it, the parked bolt face would wear very quickly and these rifles would loose headspace because of this parkerization being removed and the rifle would become unsafe.

This was a substantial problem in Marine inspections and they determined it all had to do with Parkerized bolts.

So the order to have them blued/blackened came about the same time they started to number the bolts in late 1938.

So Headquarters Marines ordered all replacement bolts to be of that petrude finish and all rebuilt bolts to go thru a blueing process in rebuild.

The Marines also did this on bayonets during the WWII timeframe.

Here's a nice example of the blued type finish on a documented Marine rifle that went to the Philly Depot for rebuild in 1938.

https://i.imgur.com/X2lNS8h.jpg
Old 05-25-2020, 07:14 AM

wow thanks jakhame81 for that article.