Im going to reload for my carbine
    My loaddata books gives
    AA no9
    VIHT n-110
    win 296
    h 110
    AA 1680
    as powder choices
    I know nothing about these powders. I like to load the cleanest burning powders along with accuracy.
    any input
  • hammonje
    Banned
    • Feb 2010

I use H110. I believe Win 296 and H110 are the same or very similar powder.

My load:

110 gr FMJ projectile (Magtech, Armscor, LC pulled)
    15.0 gr H110
    Prvi Partizan or Aguila case
    Fed SR primer
    OAL: 1.675"
    1940 FPS @ 55F

Vastly superior accuracy can be found by climbing up from 14.3 gr during development. Some lighter loads will fail to cycle well. Start here and work up to 15.0 gr. This is most competitive shooter's load. Your carbine will likely be picky to one particular narrow velocity range. Go up in 0.2 gr increments until you find the sweet spot. Temperature will affect velocity with these powders so be mindful of that.
    Last edited by hammonje; 02-25-2011, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• sgtwoodchuck
      • Oct 2009

15 gr ww296 is the military load for the carbine. As HammonJE stated H110 is supposed to be identical.

Comment

• u136953
        • Jun 2010

Ww296

I load 15 grain sof 296 behind a 110 grain fmj using a CCI41 military primer. Equivalent to the military ball load. Accuracy is excellent. Meters well in apowder measure.

Comment

• drywash
          • Oct 2009

Ditto: H110, or Win. 296 either will work. (Follow Manual)

Comment

• TwoGunChuck
            • Jan 2010

Ditto on WW296 with 110 gr FMJ or RNSP. What hammonje says about temperature affecting velocity is true and worth remembering. Can't speak to very low temperatures, but here in Phoenix, my WW296 load is significantly faster at 110 degrees than it is at 70. I was surprised at how much.

Comment

• DaveHH
              • Nov 2009

I would select a powder that you can use with other calibers

For instance if you load .357s, 2400 might be a good choice. Look into that aspect of it. I have used about 4 different powders and honestly there hasn't been a lot of difference in performance. The carbine is a very forgiving cartridge. The 30-06 is the polar opposite in this regard as the M1 is very powder sensitive.

The most important issue with the carbine is case length. Too short, OK; too long can be big trouble.

Comment

• Tired Retired
                • Oct 2009

I love these kind of questions and discussions because there is so many facets to reloading.

First, I have seen listings for reloading for each of the powders you listed. The most common used seem to be either W296/H110 and 2400. There are pluses and minuses for each. Yes, W296 and H110 are the same powder. They are just different lots. Winchester subcontracts out their powder production to Hodgdon. In fact, Hodgdon also produces IMR powder.

http://www.hodgdon.com/

As you mention you have loadbooks already, sounds like you have reloaded before. I would follow your load data and experiment as to what you want. I used 2400 for over 20 years for 30 carbine, but I am a recent convert to the W296/H110 crowd. Cleaner, hotter and meters better for measuring.

As far as different speeds at different temperatures, that is more a function of exterior ballistics (air density) than the chemical reaction of the powder.

Don't forget that CMP forum has a reloading section - lots of chatter on powders and carbine reloading there.

Hope that helps...

Comment

• mac1911
                  • Oct 2009

hmm I may be blind but I did not see a reloading section. Have to go look see. I reload for my Garand and have come to like Varget over all others I have tried.
                  I cant afford to shoot both unless I reload. I am buying enough for 500 rounds for now. That should keep me shooting for some time as the Carbine will see limitted use. I just cant put the garand down.

Comment

• GrampawEd
                    • Oct 2009

Reloading is a sub-section after "Ask Each Other."

Comment

• Tired Retired
                      • Oct 2009

You can pick up a 1 lb can of W296 for $20. At 15.0 grs a charge, that will make 466 rounds. With Remington 110 gr SP at $16 pr 100 and CCI SR primers at $30 per 1000 block, you can get yourself set up for about $23 per round or a little over $11.50 a box of 50. Makes carbine shooting very affordable.

Comment

• TwoGunChuck
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Tired Retired View Post
                        As far as different speeds at different temperatures, that is more a function of exterior ballistics (air density) than the chemical reaction of the powder.
                        Air density does of course affect exterior ballistics.

However, air density (within the limits encountered on the surface of the earth) has no discernible effect on muzzle velocity or chamber pressure, but temperature of the cartridge and gun affect muzzle velocity and chamber pressure quite significantly, with potential danger when using maximum loads. Lots of sources discuss this -- here is one http://www.exteriorballistics.com/eb...ned/4th/56.cfm . As the article says "Although it is really an interior ballistics effect, the variations in muzzle velocity cause changes in exterior ballistics performance which are important to understand."

Comment

• Sport45
                          • Jun 2010

I've been seeing good results with Ramshot Enforcer and Wolf Small Rifle Mag primers. Had to email for load data, but now I see it's published in their load guide.

Comment

• cdl2
                            • Feb 2010

I use H110, 15 grains, 110grain FMJ bullets & CCI primers.
                            After just 20 rounds my barrel is filthy, seems to take for ever to get it clean.
                            Am I missing something???
                            15 years Army National Guard, field artillery...I can't hear 73 Infantry Brigade
                            Earned my way up to First Sgt, should have stayed chief of firing battery. We used Colt M16's and I qualified expert at Ft Campbell...very nice!!

Comment

• jaken
                              • Nov 2009

or...........

Originally posted by Tired Retired View Post
                              You can pick up a 1 lb can of W296 for $20. At 15.0 grs a charge, that will make 466 rounds. With Remington 110 gr SP at $16 pr 100 and CCI SR primers at $30 per 1000 block, you can get yourself set up for about $23 per round or a little over $11.50 a box of 50. Makes carbine shooting very affordable.
                              cast your own bullets and load a box of 50 for $4! Now THAT'S affordable!

Comment

Working...
                              X