X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tony F
    • Nov 2009

Hand Built Cart

Just curious has anyone tried building their own cart from USMC Mustangs original post? Have a Merry Christmas!
  • Tony F
    • Nov 2009

Hand Built Cart

So nobody has tried this? I thought there would be a few brave souls!

Comment

• Reconinforce
      Banned
      • Nov 2014

I built my scope stand and am looking into the best platform to build a cart off of. I'll throw some pics up of the "bubba cart" when I do.

Comment

• Belltower0351
        • Mar 2013

I'll play. I used several threads from here and the national match forums, along with some local shooters' carts as inspiration. I was able to take measurements from a local guy's cart. I made some modifications from those measurements. I worked on it over this winter. I purchased the aluminum from a local metal supplier, bought the stool bag used, and a friend gave me the wheels. I've got about $145 in it, including the stainless hardware. There is a stainless shelf that the scope stand, mat, and rifle are on. I have parts to put together a vertical rifle rack and shelf, but haven't gotten to it yet. The weather was nice enough here about two weeks ago to try it out. I still need to play with the best way to set it up, but this isn't too bad for now. It is sturdy enough to hold me sitting on it just fine.

The only tools used were an abrasive chop saw, center punch, hand drill, and a tap. I still need to file down the sharp corners.

Since the weather was decent, I took the opportunity to sight in my optics service rifle for next season. Also, with all the excitement over the carbine release, I had to get one out to get a carbine fix.

Distinguished Rifleman #2497
        P100 2017 & 2021

Comment

• Reconinforce
          Banned
          • Nov 2014

Does it fold up? Any pics without the gear? I've got all my parts and am about to start on one also. Looks great!

Comment

• Belltower0351
            • Mar 2013

No pics with out gear right now, but I could take some later this week. It does not fold up, as it will fit in my truck as is. And using bolts instead of quick release pins made it more solid. However, all that would be required to make it fold up would be to drill two new holes and move one of the cross bars (the one the scope head is resting against) to the new hole and put take down pins in the old holes. I have the pins, just not sure if I want to modify it or not. If you need it to fold up, you could also use R-clips to hold the wheels on. I used cotter pins, so it would be kind of a pain to remove the wheels. I used what I had laying around when something cheap may have worked better.
            I used 1/4 x 1 1/4 bar stock, 1" round, and 1/4-20 stainless bolts. I got the stainless for the shelves for free from work. I used some 1" aluminum angle to attach the bottom shelf. I put it together over about a month during lunch breaks at work, so there are a few things I wish I had taken more time and care to do, but all in all, it turned out pretty nice. The guy's cart that I measured is more "finished" while mine is a little more rough around the edges. But I think he is more of a craftsman while I am a utilitarian.
            P100 2017 & 2021

Comment

• captaincalc
              • Apr 2010

what do you use to secure the scope to the upright?

Comment

• Beeks
                • Sep 2014

It looks to me like he still has the scope mounted to the scope stand.

Comment

• captaincalc
                  • Apr 2010

Ah... so it isn't an upright secured to the cart. Makes sense.

Comment

• Belltower0351
                    • Mar 2013

Correct, the scope is mounted on an HMR scope stand. The stand is bungied to the upright bar stock of the cart.
                    P100 2017 & 2021

Comment

Working...
                    X