Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2018, 05:51 PM

Default SAI early serial numbers

Apparently early SAI receivers had six digit serial numbers with zeros in front. I wish to date 014132 from the early '80s, and I would like to home in on when this number entered the production system or when it was mated to a barrel. The action may have been bedded by Glen Nelson at some point.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Looks like the Summer of 1980.......or call SAI
https://m14forum.com/reference/6748-...html#post44119
Old 11-26-2018, 12:39 AM

Quote:
I wish to date 014132 from the early '80s, and I would like to home in on when this number entered the production system or when it was mated to a barrel.
Per SAI, it was sold as a receiver only in May 1980. I suspect it was built by Glen Nelson into a SuperMatch circa 1980-1981, for three reasons:

1. The unmarked heavy profile barrel has the op rod guide brazed onto the barrel. This "old school" method was used by Glen Nelson before the advent of oversized op rod guides.

2. The neatly executed, brownish bedding in the stock you bought is also indicative of the bedding used by Glen Nelson and his team.

3. The perfectly executed AMU style gas cylinder is also indicative of Glen Nelson rifles:

FWIW, that rifle now resides in an early SA National Match stock, probably from 1963 based on the SA serial number written in the channel. I bought the stock in the spring and had it restored as I wanted to do a "retro" early NM M1A with that 14k barreled action, and here's how it looks now:

Left:

Right:

That's all I know...

Last edited by Random Guy; 11-26-2018 at 12:43 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:08 PM

Default SAI early serial numbers

I am grateful for all the info, and I couldn't be more pleased with this stock. I can't wait to see how this combination performs on the bench. A low round count, late 2007 loaded M1A barreled action w/ unitized gas cyl assy and Sadlak op rod spring guide are now on board. Needed to use paste wax, padded wood clamp and dead blow mallet to seat the action the first time. The wood finish cleaned up nicely with a little tlc, and the grain is gorgeous, at least semi-fancy in my mind. Price was right too! Early Christmas for me. Boss didn't mind either.