Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2009, 10:05 PM

Thumbs up Howdy from NH.

Hello from NH. One of the senior members from my local shooting club,
The Pemigewasset Valley Fish and Game club was talking to me about the clubs high power shooting matchs that they have every year. I went to a match to check it out,It was a really good time. The people there were as varied as were the weapons that they were shooting. There was an older gentleman down by himself at the end of the firing line.He was wearing a WWII uniform and he was shooting a M1 GARAND and he was shooting that weapon really well. During a break in the match,I went over and said hello and struck up a conversation with him.I told him it was great to see someone keeping the history alive. I told him that I always admired the M1 Garands. I told him that I wanted one.but I couldn't justify spending the $1500 dollars prices I had seen on the weapons.He laughed and said he couldn't either. He let me look at his and he insisted that I try it. WOW,what an awesome weapon!! His Garand was beautiful and it was a tack driver! He asked me what I thought he had paid for it and I said at least $1500. He said $495 at CMP and he told about the civilian marksman program. And the rest is history!!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:22 PM

Welcome and yes they are a great rifle. I used to live up in Mass, Used to ride my motorcycle up in NH. Beautiful country up there.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:24 PM

surflizard;

Welcome to the CMP Forums. I like your user name. I used to live fairly close to the beaches in Southern CA, and visited them often. Mostly to fish, but I used to watch the girls go bye too .

That's a very interesting story. I was at our local WalMart early one morning, and there were three fellas there discussing the Garand program from the CMP. They had it [the discussion] pretty well in the proper order and gave me no chance to offer my opinion anyway, so I just smiled at them and went on my way.

So, how many Garands have you bought since that chance encounter ?
GCA Member #5701
CMP Customer #110194
Regards.
Stan
Old 10-30-2009, 10:57 PM

Welcome Surflizard, and greetings from South Florida. I have a brother who lives in Concord,NH,out in the woods. It is beautiful country up there. I learned about the CMP about a year ago. It is, without a doubt, the best value for your money, for historic USGI rifles. And with the proceeds benefiting the shooting sports, and our youth, it's a "win win". I wish I'd heard about the CMP sooner, but I'm just glad to be here now.
Best of luck,
Craftsman
Old 10-31-2009, 07:36 AM

Thumbs up Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm in the process of rebuilding my gun cash stash.I cleaned it out buying a 1907 Savage 32 automatic pistol with original box and paper work. I'm planning a road trip to CMP North,the 2nd week in november. That way I can really look things over and hopefully find a nice M1 service grade.I'm really grateful that my better half likes weapons as much as I do! We are both really looking forward to this trip.Due to the current( want to ban everything)
government administration,I sincerly hope that CMP can stay under the anti gun radar and keep preserving this rich source of American History. People need to remember what happened when Hitler,Stalin,Mossilini,Polpot,Hussian,
England,Canada and Austraila banned weapons in those countries, Millions of innocent people died!! I apoligize for the rant,but I think it is very important that people remember this! A heart felt THANK YOU goes out to all past,present and future Veterans !! GOD BLESS AMERICA !!
Old 10-31-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surflizard View Post
I'm in the process of rebuilding my gun cash stash.I cleaned it out buying a 1907 Savage 32 automatic pistol with original box and paper work. I'm planning a road trip to CMP North,the 2nd week in november. That way I can really look things over and hopefully find a nice M1 service grade.I'm really grateful that my better half likes weapons as much as I do! We are both really looking forward to this trip.Due to the current( want to ban everything)
government administration,I sincerly hope that CMP can stay under the anti gun radar and keep preserving this rich source of American History. People need to remember what happened when Hitler,Stalin,Mossilini,Polpot,Hussian,
England,Canada and Austraila banned weapons in those countries, Millions of innocent people died!! I apoligize for the rant,but I think it is very important that people remember this! A heart felt THANK YOU goes out to all past,present and future Veterans !! GOD BLESS AMERICA !!
Surflizard;

As Louis L'Amour often quoted in his novels, "You'll do to ride the river with". In just plain Red Neck Okie talk, "Your our kind of people".
GCA Member #5701
CMP Customer #110194
Regards.
Stan
Old 10-31-2009, 04:30 PM

H.S. Mantooth JR
Thanks for the compliment ! I was wondering how has your dealings with CMP been ?
Everything I've read so far has been really positive. I am really looking forward to this CMP road trip ! A famous rifleman once said TIGHT GROUPS WORK !!
Old 11-01-2009, 01:41 AM

Surflizard;

I have only been able to buy from the CMP online. I wish I lived a lot closer so I could go directly to one of the stores. I'm in CA and the drive would be too costly and time consuming for me.

I would rate the CMP a good solid ***** [5 star rating]. I have bought 3 Garands, 1 Carbine, misc. spare Garand parts when they were available, misc. memorabilia and lots of ammo over the years. I have never been sorry for a single transaction I've purchased. The only thing that has cooled my jets, is the lack of sufficient funds .

The CMP customer service is the best available out there, second to none.

If you have never bought from them, your missing out on one of the greatest opportunities you could ever hope for, IMHO .

This coming year, my family is having our annual reunion in Michigan. I have already made my intentions known to the wife. One of my Sisters and her husband are going to be visiting Mikes parents in Port Clinton. So, they are going to take us along with them and show me around the town. Camp Perry will be #1 on our list after saying hello to Mikes parents .

Hope your trip will be enjoyable, rewarding, and exciting for you.

The best to you and yours.
GCA Member #5701
CMP Customer #110194
Regards.
Stan
Old 11-01-2009, 07:19 AM

H.S. MANTOOTH JR
Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it! After reading every thing on this site,I believe I'll be better off by driving down there and looking things over real good. I was able to sell one of my Savage 99s yesterday. That gives me enough wiggle room to pick up a nice M1 and ammo for it,providing they have them in stock. Good luck on your trip and try not to hurt yourself lugging out all the hardware ! LOL !! God bless you and yours.