Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2020, 06:04 PM

Default Correct grips for Ithaca serial 1454***

Bought an Ithaca at Cabela's Gun Room in Phoenix in 2010. It has early Keyes grips (no reinforcing ring). At the time, somebody told me the grips were not correct, which I assume meant they should be the later pattern with reinforcing ring. Is this true? On another forum I found a list of Ithaca shipments, which indicates the pistol would have been part of a shipment to the Navy at Oakland in May, 1944, if that helps (and if that dating is correct, I'm more an M1 Carbine collector and know little about 1911A1's).
Old 01-16-2020, 09:19 PM

Correct: your Ithaca most likely would have shipped with the later style of Keyes grips that had reinforcing rings around the screw holes but were otherwise identical to the ones you describe being on it.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:09 PM

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGunChuck View Post
Bought an Ithaca at Cabela's Gun Room in Phoenix in 2010. It has early Keyes grips (no reinforcing ring). At the time, somebody told me the grips were not correct, which I assume meant they should be the later pattern with reinforcing ring. Is this true? On another forum I found a list of Ithaca shipments, which indicates the pistol would have been part of a shipment to the Navy at Oakland in May, 1944, if that helps (and if that dating is correct, I'm more an M1 Carbine collector and know little about 1911A1's).
This shows the danger of deciding something is incorrect, and then rushing out to "correct" it when it was already original.

I won't go into details because the information is copyrighted, but if you are a subscriber of https://m1911info.com/ - with which I have no connection except that I'm a paying subscriber - you will discover the grips on your pistol may be original.

Last edited by Milsurp Collector; 01-16-2020 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:35 PM

Thanks. thebearpack said "most likely" the gun would have shipped with the later grips, but I took that to mean the grips might be original, too. Anyway, that site looks like it might be worth the $40 for an annual subscription. Gun has a Remington Rand slide and a Colt barrel, both WW II vintage from what I can tell from various web sites. No arsenal rebuild marks I can see.

Last edited by TwoGunChuck; 01-16-2020 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGunChuck View Post
Gun has a Remington Rand slide and a Colt barrel, both WW II vintage from what I can tell from various web sites.
If it is a mixmaster - which wasn't stated earlier - then all bets are off. If it is a mixmaster then it is more likely the grips are not original.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:01 PM

It is, and a set of later grips is cheap, so I might make that change, keeping the original ones of course. I would replace the barrel and slide, but currently the appearance matches very closely -- looks like the gun has been together for a long time and aged uniformly -- so exchanging the slide might make it look weird.