X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • canes7
    • Oct 2009

KTS targets missing shot procedure

Can someone explain what the procedure is when the KTS targets do not pickup a shot? Does the backer get changed for each shooter? Would a off-target miss register on the backer and electronics? How are competitors updated?

The situation is this: I had a shot not show during the EIC yesterday at the Eastern Games. It was shot 2 or 3. I wasn’t doing great but nothing close to having off-target shots. The shot in question broke perfectly and I would have called it an easy X. So when the shot broke and didn’t show on the monitor the scorer called over the peeps and we were told that the backer woud be checked.

Thats the last I heard. Should I just keep checking the scores?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dan W.
    CMP GSM Master Instructor
    CMP HP Master
    DR#2474 (2019) 1/2 with irons, 1/2 with optics
  • jarheadteacher
    GSM Master Instructor
    • Oct 2009

What the exact procedure is I can't quote, but I can tell you what happened to me last year with a KTS target.
    Target said one missing shot in my rapids. I was confident I did not miss. I went to the Technical Official direct and told him. He seemed sincerely concerned and said he would check it out. It was not until I got back to the 600 yard line and I searched him out that he confirmed my missing shot was there and my score would be adjusted accordingly. Which it was.

Helps to be patient and have the ability to "let it go" and focus on the next shot and not let the "supposed" miss screw with you mentally.

Next time, consider seeking out the Tech Official before leaving the range.

I am sure they will find it and your score will be upped by 10 points. I hope it gets you a leg.

Good luck!
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition."
    Rudyard Kipling

Distinguished Rifleman 2383
    CMP RSO II

Comment

• canes7
      • Oct 2009

My score was properly adjusted later on during the day. Everyone had gone home so I wasn't around for a face-to-face. I was just curious if they changed backers after every string and what the actual procedure was.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Dan W.
      CMP HP Master

Comment

• 3StrikesNC
        • Oct 2009

Guy I scored for today had 4 10’s & X’s, then the 5th shot didn’t register.

They checked as the match was going on and turns out he cross fired.

Targets have been working well.

Comment

• Kilo-Sierra
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by canes7 View Post
          My score was properly adjusted later on during the day. Everyone had gone home so I wasn't around for a face-to-face. I was just curious if they changed backers after every string and what the actual procedure was.
          Dan,
          I have shot a BUNCH of matches at Talledega. They put up ONE cardboard backer for the whole match. I've seen shots challenged at Talladega with the KTS system. For instance, If someone challenged a shot during a string the RO would tell the tower and then tell you to keep shooting. After that string 2 RO's would grab a mule and run down to the targets. If it is obvious that the shooter challenge is legit you would shoot an alibi string.

You can imagine what a backer looks like by the end of a 1000agg HP match! I have seen Sara R. and Bryan P. on hands/knees with a big plexglass template on a 6'x6' target backer comparing shots from the computer printout against the actual holes in the cardboard. If I can find some pics of this i wil post them.

Early on they had some REAL issues with the system. I have have made challenges and was right (and also WRONG). Bryan Parris has really worked hard and made great progress with the accuracy of the target system.

I would bet that 98% of the challenges now prove that the shooter was in error not the target system.

I kinda got long winded and not sure I answered your question or not. I hope yall are doing well and having fun at Butner. I'll be shooting up there Thursday and Friday. Cheers!

Keith
          I can shoot a one hole/one shot group at any distance....."If I do my part"
          Keith Schachle
          Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
          Presidents Hundred (Top 20 Shootoff)
          NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
          NRA Midrange - High Master
          CMP XTC Service Rifle - High Master
          CMP Master Instructor
          Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade

Comment

• Kilo-Sierra
            • Feb 2010

Dan, this is one of the pics I was looking for. This is a backer from a 3-gun (I shot my M1, 03a3, and 1917) match at TMP last year. There are 105 .30 cal holes in it. This is the backside of the cardboard. The shot way out to the left is an offhand shot that I forced. I should have taken the rifle down and reset. That lack of discipline caused me to miss the National Record 3-gun agg by 1 point. Leon sent me the pic after the match.

I can shoot a one hole/one shot group at any distance....."If I do my part"
            Keith Schachle
            Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
            Presidents Hundred (Top 20 Shootoff)
            NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
            NRA Midrange - High Master
            CMP XTC Service Rifle - High Master
            CMP Master Instructor
            Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade

Comment

• canes7
              • Oct 2009

Thanks Keith. Thats the answer I was looking for, about how often the backer is changed. I wasn’t trying to disparage the KTS targets at all. I just had a shot go missing, my 1st time having that happen, so I was curious about the procedure. In the end, the miss was changed and all is well.

Thanks again.
              Dan W.
              CMP HP Master

Comment

Working...
              X