Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2019, 03:29 AM

the safe act has a specific carve out for C&R holders...... however i believe what your asking is if CMP will ship a Carbine with a bayonet lug to NY and from what i have seen they will...... but, like Garands they must be shipped to a dealer and its the dealers responsibility to ensure compliance with the law...... if you are a C&R holder just put the gun in the C&R book (like you would do with any C&R gun you obtain) then it is legal......

i know the 3 dealers i use would allow the sale anyway BUT theoretically a Carbine with a bayonet lug owned by a NON C&R holder is illegal in NYS, but like i said the SAFE act has a specific carve out for C&R holders...... so there is a legal way to own it in NYS
Old 11-24-2019, 07:13 AM

Default M1 carbine sale to New York resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandhunter31 View Post
the safe act has a specific carve out for C&R holders......

My question directed to the OP is this... are you a C&R (FFL-03) holder or are you considering the rifle a C&R? Iím not that familiar with the SAFE Act, but likely would be important to your discussion.

Iím from NJ, and had my FFL-03 down there for about a year prior to moving to ME... so Iím sure there are good people behind those lines called the NY border. But getting my license in NJ, the ATF went over NJ law, and what that restricted me to do within NJ (actually had to sign a release saying I was told shipping guns to my home was illegal). When you get a FFL-03, the application does make mention that your license will not allow you to disregard any state/local law.

I originally got my FFL-03 because there was a stipulation where new laws allowed C&R holders the ability to transfer firearms outside of an FFL (NJ now makes everyone except LEOs and C&Rs... latter with C&R firearms... to go through an FFL; those two groups can only sell/buy from others in the same group, but immediate family transactions are exempt). But it did allow me to get handguns out of state during that time. Once I had my address changed on my license... I made up for lost time; Brazilian S&W revolver, CZ-52, and an M1 Carbine (an ďassault weaponĒ in NJís eyes).

And yep, mine has a bayonet lug. Good old middle finger salute to NJ. [emoji6]

Last edited by Screwball; 11-24-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epm729 View Post
Joe,
With all the replies I do not believe you had your question answered. You asked if the CMP will ship a carbine to NY without the bayonet lug. The answer is probably yes, if you request it. Or they can grind off the tabs on the lug so a bayonet can not be attached. They may have to send it to a FFL to ensure compliance with the law. As others have stated you can still purchase a carbine in NY with or without the lug depending on who is selling it. Regards,Eddie
Hey:
Let's let the CMP answer these questions (or not).
First if the CMP will ship an M1 Carbine as is and a separate question to that, which is if they would modify a firearm to meet local laws.

The second isn't as simple as you make it out to be.
Let them answer...….

OP:
Unless I'm missing something, I assume you are referring to the Auction Carbines since they aren't selling regular ones...… ?

Last edited by Gewehr43; 11-24-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:10 PM

OP:
All sorts of ideas/comments/thoughts are getting thrown around here...…
So why did you post this?
Have you or are you thinking about bidding on a CMP Carbine?
Because if not, what does this have to do with the CMP?
Old 11-24-2019, 06:46 PM

The last time the CMP had mail order carbines which I believe was 3-5 years ago I purchased a nice Winchester from them. Any rifle from the CMP is shipped to an FFL if you are a NY resident. They shipped mine without a bayonet lug. It is an early Winchester that spent time in Bavaria.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
My question directed to the OP is this... are you a C&R (FFL-03) holder or are you considering the rifle a C&R? Iím not that familiar with the SAFE Act, but likely would be important to your discussion.

Iím from NJ, and had my FFL-03 down there for about a year prior to moving to ME... so Iím sure there are good people behind those lines called the NY border. But getting my license in NJ, the ATF went over NJ law, and what that restricted me to do within NJ (actually had to sign a release saying I was told shipping guns to my home was illegal). When you get a FFL-03, the application does make mention that your license will not allow you to disregard any state/local law.

I originally got my FFL-03 because there was a stipulation where new laws allowed C&R holders the ability to transfer firearms outside of an FFL (NJ now makes everyone except LEOs and C&Rs... latter with C&R firearms... to go through an FFL; those two groups can only sell/buy from others in the same group, but immediate family transactions are exempt). But it did allow me to get handguns out of state during that time. Once I had my address changed on my license... I made up for lost time; Brazilian S&W revolver, CZ-52, and an M1 Carbine (an ďassault weaponĒ in NJís eyes).

And yep, mine has a bayonet lug. Good old middle finger salute to NJ. [emoji6]
Thanks for the info and sorry for the confusion. I'm not a FFL-03 and was talking about the M1 carbine as the C&R.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
Hey:
Let's let the CMP answer these questions (or not).
First if the CMP will ship an M1 Carbine as is and a separate question to that, which is if they would modify a firearm to meet local laws.

The second isn't as simple as you make it out to be.
Let them answer...Ö.

OP:
Unless I'm missing something, I assume you are referring to the Auction Carbines since they aren't selling regular ones...Ö ?
Yes I was going to bid on the auction carbine this past Saturday, but didn't want to create an issue if I won and was not able to receive the firearm. Having said that I guess it would also apply if I was going to try and buy a carbine from another member from the "for sale" posts. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang7 View Post
The last time the CMP had mail order carbines which I believe was 3-5 years ago I purchased a nice Winchester from them. Any rifle from the CMP is shipped to an FFL if you are a NY resident. They shipped mine without a bayonet lug. It is an early Winchester that spent time in Bavaria.
Good info and thanks
Old 11-26-2019, 10:09 AM

Update Answer from NYS. After speaking to the NY State police (couple of calls)New York residents can purchase any firearm that would normally be classified in the SAFE Act as an assault rifle because of the list of banned features, if the rifle is over 50 years old including all of its parts AND if you register the rifle with the NYS Police. Or if the banned feature is removed prior to sale, the rifle can be sold to NY state resident and does not need to be registered.