Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2011, 11:54 PM

Default is it the gas or the grease?

I just got a couple more bayonets (AFH and UFH spearpoints, with metal tipped sheaths) and dropped them in a tub and poured a quart or 2 of Sunoco's finest 87 octane degreaser over them. The paint of the sheaths started to come off, but the grease just sat there. is it not grease or is the 10% alcohol ruining my favorite degreaser?
Old 03-13-2011, 07:54 AM

Terry, I think most any cleaner will take off the paint. I just got another CMP bayo and took it to work, plop it into our parts cleaner which smells like paint thinner. Some of the paint was missing when I took it out.
Why gas won't cut grease I don't know. Is it soft like grease? Alcohol is another good grease cutter.
The paint on my latest sheath will flake off with my finger nail. Don't really think the paint jobs on there things were top notch.
Still like to know what is on yours.

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 03-13-2011, 08:32 AM

Its wax, try boiling in water.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:37 PM

I always use gas. Yeah I know about the safty stuff. It always takes the cosmo off. We used it in the Corps in a metal trash can.
Worked on my bayonets didn't take paint off. But then I had only one USGI, 2 Tiwans, and 1 greek. Maybe its the added ethanol,didn't have that in the old days. And mixtures may vary up to 10 percent? Maybe that depends on where you live?
Old 03-16-2011, 08:54 AM

the brake cleaner i use to clean the bayos and the scabbards doesnt take off the paint. however i dont soak. i spray on a rag and use some elbow grease. works well so far. i get it at oriellys but get the red can and not the green. the green can is more toxic and removes paint(ask me how i know i on my 72 camaro )
Old 03-16-2011, 11:38 AM

I have just been pouring boiling water on them from about 3' above in the driveway. Sheaths vertical, fill and empty them a few times, and everything gets so hot it evaporates immediately. Kind of like cleaning a muzzle loader. A light film of CLP, and have had no issues.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD1167 View Post
Its wax, try boiling in water.
That is what I would do.