Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2017, 04:21 PM

Default Opened a CMP LC 52 Spam Can Today!

Well it was a nice surprise when the CMP put these beautiful cans up for sale a few years ago, I was fortunate to get several of the LC & SL cans and I've learned to always buy multiples, if possible, of any fine/limited release CMP items, so some can be opened and enjoyed today, and some can be saved for the future.
I'm starting to get ready for the CMP New England Games and decided the ammo I'd shoot in the matches will be the contents from one of these LC cans.
It is fun opening spam cans, and this tall-boy was no exception! It gave a strong "gasp" of air as the seal broke for the first time in 65 years, and then the very strong ether-like smell of vintage USGI ammunition filled my nostrils....... it doesn't get much better than that on a Saturday afternoon!
The ammo looks like it was made this morning, and the loose powder has a nice shake to it. I'll get to fire 70 rounds to test it out in 2 local club matches on Sept. 2, with 2 CMP service grade rifles, a HRA M1 and Smith Corona 03A3, I'll be shooting both in Vermont.
Humbling to think this ammo was made in 1952 while the US was engaged in fierce combat during the Korean War, especially given where we're at today.
It's almost something of a religious experience, opening one of these little USGI time capsules, and I know only my brothers here can relate to me on that, enjoy the pictures!
https://imgur.com/a/p0TwE

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 08-12-2017, 04:52 PM

Very nice!! I'm still working on a can of SL 52 from that same release. Just like yours it look like it was made yesterday!! Turned the empty can into a waste bucket for the garage...if you reuse the can be sure to tape the edges they're sharp...don't ask how I know?
Old 08-12-2017, 06:05 PM

The horror!!!!!!!
I think you need to put warnings on the link to those pictures. "Not suitable for those who believe every USGI item is only for collecting".
(I have one of those tucked away also. I don't remember which location it was from.)
Old 08-12-2017, 07:17 PM

I have three LC and three SL 520 round spam cans but have had no reason to open them. It's nice to see the condition of yours.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 08-12-2017, 08:08 PM

I'm becoming a bit more of a mindset that I want to use and enjoy the rifles and ammo in my collection. Ammunition is a consumable item, and I can't think of a more fun and appropriate place to shoot some of this original Korean War era LC M2 ammo than at the CMP's Travel Games Matches.
You can't leave everything for future collectors to enjoy!

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 08-12-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman View Post
I'm becoming a bit more of a mindset that I want to use and enjoy the rifles and ammo in my collection. Ammunition is a consumable item, and I can't think of a more fun and appropriate place to shoot some of this original Korean War era LC M2 ammo than at the CMP's Travel Games Matches.
You can't leave everything for future collectors to enjoy!
I could not agree more!

Veteran US Army, Artillery
NRA Member
My Dad was a Gun Captain on the USS Enterprise CV-6 WWll
Old 08-13-2017, 08:22 AM

That is a beautiful sight. I still haven't opened any of mine. I'm working through the gobs of loose HXP and my specific reloads.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:14 AM

We may just need some of that 1952 Korean War era ammunition soon if that madman in NK acts up.

Nice looking stuff and I agree on shooting it, that is what it was made for.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:04 AM

Spam can wastebasket, edge bound with leather.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.ph...6&postcount=28
Old 08-13-2017, 11:26 AM

Man, I'm going to have to open one of mine, just so I can have an ultra-cool wastebasket.