Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2021, 07:18 AM

Default Is this $973 GAW Legit?

This one has been floating around a few social media pages, and is being reported (by a few) as fake:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M1-GARAND-S...dYnyc3A1F-F0i0

I put them in a drive folder for easier viewing:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...ep?usp=sharing

Obviously this went for bonkers money. BUT do you think this is authentic?
Old 02-26-2021, 08:41 AM

Direct Real Vs. eBay Comparison:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YtH...ew?usp=sharing

Confirmed real!

Last edited by Ripton; 02-26-2021 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:48 AM

It is 100% real. That stock spent very little time on a Rifle from what I see. The curve of the stock when being made caused the stamps to be light on the bottom. For those thinking it is fake you better do your homework a little harder Rick B
Old 02-26-2021, 10:12 AM

I was leaning towards real, but fake or real, $973 is way out of my price range. Cross cannons always look odd and amateurish to me. These look like they may have been double stuck.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
It is 100% real. That stock spent very little time on a Rifle from what I see. The curve of the stock when being made caused the stamps to be light on the bottom. For those thinking it is fake you better do your homework a little harder Rick B
Two reasons I never jump to conclusions.

1 Because I don't know anything.

2 Because if you are going to call something a fake, you had better know for a fact it know it is.

The most common reason I see on social media that a stock is fake is that "It looks too good". That seems like a terrible barometer to conclude a stock Real vs Fake.

I thought this looked suspect in comparison with a known real stamp, it really reinforces reason 1 listed above.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:05 PM

Ripton, you comparison is bad only because the stamp you used is an angle shot causing the letters to be out of formation. This makes the comparison harder and can cause one to see differences that do not exist. When ever comparing you have to make sure the picture is straight on and that they are exactly the same size box size in photoshop. Then all things on fake start showing. Rick B
Old 02-28-2021, 03:57 PM

I saw that on ebay before it sold. I wish I knew enough to know if it was real or not. I stared at it a lot and compared to one that I got at the CMP last month, but only the GAW stamp. I didn't look at the canon. The GAW looked real to me and if so I will be more than happy if mine is worth 1/2 that amount.

I did wonder why the seller (who must live minutes away from the NS) didn't show any pictures of the inside of the stock. Then I looked at a previous posting here that showed a fake one and a real one and got more confused it seemed a like the "fake" one looked like mine which made no sense unless the CMP got some fakes in there inventory. Then I wondered if the armory back in 1944 didn't have more than one stamp and if so they no doubt didn't care if they were made exactly the same.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:42 PM

I wouldn't spend that kind of money for a stock, unless the rifle that goes in it came with it

Last edited by UncleBilly; 02-28-2021 at 05:44 PM.