Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Is it Real or Repro?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2014, 07:49 PM

i have a question along the lines of real or repro...having just come back from my nephews graduation at fort benning. i was touring their brand new army museum.the exhibits traced the army from continental times up to iraq.i noticed more than a few 1903's and M1's.to me they looked 100% genuine.i have also seen similar exhibits at camp shelbyMS,houfalize belgium,and at st mere eglise.again all the american weapons looked like the real deal.anybody know anything about their authenticity?
Old 08-11-2014, 02:32 PM

People would have to see most items to determine if it is fake or real. Sometimes pictures will not work either because over the years I have seen several individuals put up real pictures, with a statement that some items may be different, and then send out fake items to the purchaser.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:54 PM

I want you to know what is going on in this market. By the 1980's rare items were being made in China, India and South America. Today things are different for very large companies.

It used to be that original items would be purchased for some part of the value, like 1/3 or 1/2, depending upon the company and the seller. Today things are different. If an item sells for $30.00 and lets say I had several hundred and offered them for $10.00 each per 100, so the company can make 3 times their investment, I will be told they are not interested at that price. The man will tell me he can make the same item in China for less than $1.00 each and sell them for the current price of $30.00, therefore he will offer me $1.00 each for the real item.

This has happened several times in the past including those items that were not rare.

So the result is even common items will continued to be faked to make a very high mark up on the sale.