Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2020, 06:37 PM

Default Ballistic calculator question

Good day everyone

I'm relatively new here so do not be hard if I posted this question in the wrong section.

Recently I stumbled upon some sort of ballistic calculator in the store and it got me thinking, are these thing really helpful or its just another thing people buy just in case. Has someone here ever used one?

Maybe there could be some kind of app

Last edited by sandrabsh; 11-09-2020 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:26 PM

If one of these - absolutely fascinating - but read the limitations - particularly it is only good for one family of powders and a limited set of BC's. Still useful, and an astounding example of a graphical representation of a set of insanely complex mathematical equations. Worth Studying.

** EDIT - Nov 24, 2020 **
The Speer exterior ballistics calculator mentioned in this thread works as long as you know the velocity. My brain cross-connected that with the Powley Computer and PSI Calculator which is an INTERIOR ballistics exercise - and only applies to IMR Powders. An interesting article is shown here:

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor..._200901/100159

Last edited by MGMKS; 11-24-2020 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 03:00 AM

OP:
yes, which one do you mean?
There are quite a few out there and for different purposes and value depending on how you want to use them.....
Old 11-04-2020, 11:24 AM

A very interesting calculator, indeed. I have never used one, but it appears to be somewhat similar to Air Navigation computers that I have used, with a number of variables that need to be input or calculated.

With the Speer calculator shown in the previous post, note that a major input necessary for its use is muzzle velocity. This would require a device which could measure muzzle velocity for your specific rifle and load in question. - OR you would need accurate muzzle velocity information which had been compiled and included in your reloading manuals.

Any published muzzle velocities would be for a specific barrel length, and so stated in the manual. Your barrel might be longer or shorter.

Muzzle Velocities are sometimes listed in Reloading manuals, but usually only for a specific recipe (starting or maximum). More often, only chamber pressures are listed.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:54 AM

High Res pics of the Speer Calculator and the Instructions available HERE