Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > Forum Webmaster
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2011, 01:34 PM

Default Throughly Disgusted

Ever compose a very long and detailed post and find the system has logged you off?? Nowhere to go that allows you to retain the post and get back on. Infuriating. Ted K. wasn't completely wrong. Good Shooting....
Old 01-31-2011, 08:18 AM
Forum Webmaster

Check the "remember me" when you log in. It will keep you logged in until you click "log out". The computer automatically logs you out after 30 minutes or so if there is not any activity.... Its a security issue.

-GitM
Old 01-31-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Ever compose a very long and detailed post and find the system has logged you off?? Nowhere to go that allows you to retain the post and get back on. Infuriating. Ted K. wasn't completely wrong. Good Shooting....

Ceresco
I have gotten into the habit of hi-lighting & selecting the text, right click copy, before I hit the post or preview button. Started doing that with the old and new forums when they were very unstable. Never knew what was going to happen at any given time then. I have had better luck lately but still do it. I dislike doing things twice.
Good shooting to you too!
Dave
Old 01-31-2011, 11:17 AM

Another method is to compose your post on Word and copy and paste it to the forum when you are ready.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vos Parate View Post
Another method is to compose your post on Word and copy and paste it to the forum when you are ready.
I do this when I have a bit to say. Some forums will kick you out only after a short time.
CMP & NRA HP Master
26 down / 4 to go!
Old 01-31-2011, 04:09 PM

+1 for Cresco
Old 01-31-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vos Parate View Post
If you don't have Word, you can download AbiWord (FREE!) or OpenOffice.org (also FREE).

Eli
Old 01-31-2011, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm sure I will remember them the next time "it" happens. Doesn't the computer interpret your keystrokes as activity??--and I leave the "remember me" checked. Generally, I am already logged on when I fire up the Super Sophisticated Web TV. I think I will try to remember to hit the "post" early on and then work from the "edit" feature. Good Shooting.....
Old 02-03-2011, 01:59 PM

Ceresco; Hey, I'm in the same situation. It takes a few minutes for our great minds ( yea, right) to compose a reply, only to have the connection lost. Very frustrating. So you're not the only one who goes through this.

I've was on the horn today to the internet provider complaining about this problem. Also have complained to the ol' phone company (I have old fashion dial up). Not much help.

In all fairness, I don't usually have any issues with this forum. But it does happen often enough at other sites.

Best I can figure, there is some sort of conflict within my computer, one program (or setting) is confused by another program. Might also be a modem that has a problem or bad driver.

So hang in there, some day we'll find out what the cause is.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:07 PM

Ceresco; I have the same issue. It just happened now as I try to make this post. The connection was lost before I could finish writing it.

Something cause the connection to drop. I've called both the internet provider and the telephone co, both were clueless and really could care less.

It's very frustrating. And I don't have any answers.

But thanks for making the thread.