Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2018, 06:57 PM

Default Family History Revolutionary War

On my late Mother's side of the family we have a lot of very old history at play. The Hacketts had a Union Cavalry Major Jeremiah Hackett who founded the town of Hackett Ark. His son TP Hackett (My great grandfather) was a Deputy US Marshall in the Poteau Office, Indian Territory which would later become Oklahoma. On the Bruce side of her family they start much earlier, her grandfather, Lucian Bruce was in the 1st Vermont Inf in the civil war, was shot in the Battle of the Wilderness and pensioned off at $18 a month which was a lot of money. My great uncle Frank Moses Bruce was a Captain of the minesweeper Bobolink and was killed clearing mines in the North Sea in 1919, awarded the Navy Meritorious service medal and a destroyer 329 USS Bruce. I was going through some things and found this letter verifying that Frank's grandfather (and my grandfather Fred's) Moses Bruce was one of the original Minutemen who fought at the battle of Concord and Lexington. His length of service was listed in days as they were paid by the day.
The other fellow mentioned Hayden was the grandfather of Lucians's wife, my great,great grandmother. I guess that puts us far enough back to be called American.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:09 PM

Awesome!!

For a good reading of the events of that day, I recommend David Hackett Fisher's book "Paul Revere's Ride" or attend an Appleseed in your area and hear a condensed version
Appleseed Instructor
Old 01-18-2018, 07:48 PM

Wonderful post! Sincerely. bruce.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:01 PM

Thank you for sharing.

Family history became a large thing to research for me, when I was handed a stack of names, pictures and document scans.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:23 PM

For me on my father's side it is easy, the family put it all in a book (The Bernhardt Family 1570-1980). There is a newer version 200? and at least one older version of the book. With some research I've managed to trace the family back a little bit more. Our book is listed in the Library of Comgress, which is cool. Here's a link to one of our books for sale.

https://www.abebooks.it/Bernhardt-Fa...11541399123/bd
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Last edited by USAF Sarge; 01-18-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:39 AM

With the relative ease of access to genealogy records now, it is much easier to trace your family lines - sometimes yielding surprising results. My wife has been spending time researching her and my family. On my mother's side, her mother was a Carey. Lynn traced the family line back through Revolutionary War service to a distant grandfather - Miles Carey - who was a Colonel of Militia in Jamestown, Virginia in the mid-1600s.

From there the line goes back to England and, ultimately to Mary Boleyn - older sister of Anne Boleyn, wife of Henry VIII - who married William Carey. Mary was known to have had a long term affair with Henry VIII prior to his marriage to Anne and her two children, Catherine and Henry, are widely accepted as being fathered by Henry VIII, making him my 13th Great Grandfather. So, I guess the many times I was called a ba*tard during my Army career had some level of accuracy.

(Genuflecting and grovelling are not required of you commoners). :-)

Looking for SA Garand 2860035

Last edited by Devious6; 01-19-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:26 AM

On dad's side of the family they can be traced to military service in America even before the US was formed. The Seven Years War ( known in the US as the French and Indian Wars ) earned them land grants in Virginia. On mom's side, they fought reluctantly in the Revolutionary War while dad's side fought without reservation. Mom's side were Quakers but instead of not fighting and being fined, they fought on the US side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious6 View Post
With the relative ease of access to genealogy records now, it is much easier to trace your family lines - sometimes yielding surprising results. My wife has been spending time researching her and my family. On my mother's side, her mother was a Carey. Lynn traced the family line back through Revolutionary War service to a distant grandfather - Miles Carey - who was a Colonel of Militia in Jamestown, Virginia in the mid-1600s.

From there the line goes back to England and, ultimately to Mary Boleyn - older sister of Anne Boleyn, wife of Henry VIII - who married William Carey. Mary was known to have had a long term affair with Henry VIII prior to his marriage to Anne and her two children, Catherine and Henry, are widely accepted as being fathered by Henry VIII, making him my 13th Great Grandfather. So, I guess the many times I was called a ba*tard during my Army career had some level of accuracy.

(Genuflecting and grovelling are not required of you commoners). :-)
I'll not bow to the likes of you. Dad's side traces back to King William the First. Also know as William the Conqueror and William the Ba__tard. So that puts me at 32nd great great grandson of him. Mom's side is related to Queen Elizabeth and also Gerald Ford.

Last edited by Ohio Don; 01-19-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:55 AM

Location: Indiana "...upon the east bank of Big Blue River..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Awesome!!

For a good reading of the events of that day, I recommend David Hackett Fisher's book "Paul Revere's Ride" or attend an Appleseed in your area and hear a condensed version
+1 on Fisher's book, the story based on depositions they took following the battles(...rather than a poem written a century later) and the Appleseed story telling. How silly would it have sounded to the British Colonists if Paul Revere had actually yelled "The British are coming!"?

Our founding fathers were men who knew what they were about.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:13 PM

My great grandmother (1898-1998) was a member of the “Daughters of the Revolutionary War”. Obviously she was a couple generations removed. I have my ancestry paperwork somewhere and can come up with a name. That side of the family came over in the 1600s.

My Feedback thread

Looking for SA M1 2417731 - its out there, the CMP sold it in 2012!
Old 01-19-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Don View Post
On dad's side of the family they can be traced to military service in America even before the US was formed. The Seven Years War ( known in the US as the French and Indian Wars ) earned them land grants in Virginia. On mom's side, they fought reluctantly in the Revolutionary War while dad's side fought without reservation. Mom's side were Quakers but instead of not fighting and being fined, they fought on the US side.

I'll not bow to the likes of you. Dad's side traces back to King William the First. Also know as William the Conqueror and William the Ba__tard. So that puts me at 32nd great great grandson of him. Mom's side is related to Queen Elizabeth and also Gerald Ford.
Too funny!!! I bow to my older and wiser Lord.

Looking for SA Garand 2860035