Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2019, 09:20 AM

I had no intention of picking up any more M1s at Camp Perry this year, but just couldn't pass up another Winchester receivered special.
This one is a Win-13 receiver with Criterion barrel and new CMP stock. Most small parts are SA except for the safety which is marked SAI.
Just finished up disassembly , cleaning and lubing and putting her back together. As with most of the CMP M1s I have bought over the years the interior of the op rod was nasty with rust and other accumulated debris. Looking forward to shooting this one later this weekend.
Oh yea, I noticed the front sight/gas cylinder was staked. Don't think I ever noticed that before.

RVN 67-68

Last edited by nf1e; 08-10-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:36 AM

Valid points on each side of the collector/shooter issue.
Why don’t we try to encourage the collectors to become competitors?

Or, staff the north store to be open till say, 7 PM during matches?

I am a competitor, and I understand getting off the line at three to 3:30 PM,
when everything goes right, leaves little time to speed over to the north store,
incidentally while smelling like a goat!

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He knew war,and was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/
Old 08-12-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon762 View Post
Valid points on each side of the collector/shooter issue.
Why donít we try to encourage the collectors to become competitors?

Or, staff the north store to be open till say, 7 PM during matches?

I am a competitor, and I understand getting off the line at three to 3:30 PM,
when everything goes right, leaves little time to speed over to the north store,
incidentally while smelling like a goat!
Some people can't complete... but I always encourage the able to at least try.

If you can get buy-in form the store employees to change their schedule to something like a 11-7 that would be a great compromise IMHO. However, all the gems will still be gone by the time the competitors show up.

One thought that does come to mind is that everyone, collector and competitor alike, has equal opportunity when the matches are not being held.
CMP & NRA HP Master
26 down / 4 to go!
Old 08-12-2019, 11:34 AM

Art, I had a LEAD rebuild that had the front site staked. I’m sure that Rob can add to a discussion of staked front sights.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajDave View Post
Art, I had a LEAD rebuild that had the front site staked. I’m sure that Rob can add to a discussion of staked front sights.
Thanks, I just never noticed it before. May be others in the herd that have it.
My SOP is to clean and lube plus tighten the front sights right where they are. Never have had to move one on an M1 like is so common with the M14.
RVN 67-68

Last edited by nf1e; 08-14-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator

Those claiming posts/comments were deleted or edited here are are blowing it out and not in full possession of fact.
We can see deleted posts and there hasn't been one post deleted by a moderator or admin. Two members deleted an individual post each...one subsequently reposted the same information. The other was a response to a previous post with no relevance to the topic.

Next, anyone can see if a post was edited...just look at the bottom of the post.
Examples: See posts #4, #14, #39, #40 and #41. All edited by the poster, and not one post here edited by a moderator.

With that, we understand the frustration some feel regarding the stores, especially during the National Matches, and particularly those who are competing. Personally, I was hoping to hear about more NM attendees finding/purchasing some good examples, Garands or 1903s.
Civil, adult discussion, even venting about it is fine...making ridiculous analogies to the Civil War, pettiness and such is not.
Yes, we have edited/deleted threads/posts when they devolve into that or incessant whine fests.

Regardless, the issue will get little, if any traction or answers posted here, especially when they are of a frivolous nature.
As one member stated, most effective way to address it is to contact Mr. Johnson himself.

Good luck,
Rob

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544
Old 08-14-2019, 05:38 AM

I went to the store the morning of 3 August. The racks were full. Wasn't really in the market for anything, would have picked up 1903 variant maybe, but just wanted to see what was going on. Not sure you can claim "perennial" lack of rifles when the racks were all full, plenty of M1 variants to pick from; and 1903s showing up earlier in the week.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:32 AM

I went to the North Store on Monday July 29th at 0700 hrs. I found a very nice selection of 1903s, Service and Field Grade M1s as well as the usual Drill and M1C/M1Ds. I picked up a very nice Service Grade TE rebuild M1 in a birch stock. I believe that I recall in past years, the CMP imposed a 1 rifle limit on each grade during the National Matches. There was no limit this year except for the 1903s. I believe that if they had imposed a 1 rifle purchase per each grade for the time of the Matches, the supply would have lasted longer and allowed more people to find nice rifles later in the week. This is just my opinion and maybe something for the CMP to think about for next year. Thanks CMP for what you do and allowing us collectors/shooters to collect these great pieces of history.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:52 AM

It seems that the majority of those who got nice rifles from the NS during the matches were there when the rest of us were on the firing line (roll call is 0630, first shot 0700, approx). I will admit that I did have my hands on a good 03. Just too late in the day for purchase.

So saving rifles for later in the week, while a step in the right direction, wouldn't solve the issue of them being soaked up early in the day. If there was to be a restock later in the day, say about 1430-1500, the collector crowd would just hang out for round two.. I know I would.

The only true way to make it fair is to close off rifle sales all week, but who wants that...
CMP & NRA HP Master
26 down / 4 to go!
Old 08-14-2019, 12:59 PM

Default Young shooters assistance

I have been a customer of the north store and the cmp for well over 25 years and worked the nationals on the line, in the store and the gun truck for a lot of those years , so i have seen a lot of changes/improvements over those years all of which benefited us or at least had our best interest at heart. During these years i have added many garands and carbines to my safes, some of which i sell or give to younger shooters so as to get them bitten by the garand/shooting bug. I have also provided this service to a few older friends to get them on our side with great success. My thought is us older guys with a surplus of garands/carbines pass a few of them down to the younger shooters at the price we paid for them "back in the day" or at least a bit lower than the now going price. As always ymmv....

"the second amendment" americas original "homeland security"