• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • broomhandle
    • Feb 2016

Target rifle ammo problem???

Hi All,

I think I need more guidance!

Bought a nice H&R M-12 target rifle. Fired about 200 rounds of Federal ammo no problems. Had some Remington & Winchester ammo, that function well in other rifles.
    With the H&R, some cases will stick in the chamber & sometimes require a cleaning rod to knock them out!

The ejector seems to be just fine. I think this rifle has a tight match chamber. It appears to be clean! Is it just a case of some brass does not spring back enough or should I try to polish the chamber with J B bore cleaner? Other options?

Thanks for any help,
    broom
    Last edited by broomhandle; 08-10-2018, 10:07 PM.
  • X Hunter
    • Oct 2009

Sounds like an extractor problem.

Comment

• QC4thee
      • Nov 2009

Your rifle has a nice, tight match chamber and need to be fed decent ammunition. SK+, Norma TAC-22, and Eley bulk sold here would be the minimum. Lapua Center-X, Eley Match, RWS Rifle Match should do well.

The M12's can be great shooters. Hope yours is one of them.
      NRA Life Member
      NC Rifle and Pistol Association Life Member
      CMP Customer even though I don't have the logo...

Comment

• broomhandle
        • Feb 2016

Hi Fellow posters,

Thanks for the reply's! Been shooting small bore for many years with a Mossburg 144LS. That rifle will operate with anything I use.

I'll check the extractor for proper operation I know the case rim is NOT damaged by the extractor. My thought is some cases are not correctly made & the extractor is riding over the rim.

I never thought to check the rim thickness. I know there are gauges made for that purpose Maybe I need a 22 body (Go/No GO? gauge) also.
        The H&R M-12 is a really nice shooter as you mentioned.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts,
        broom
        Last edited by broomhandle; 08-10-2018, 10:20 PM.

Comment

• 218bee
          • Oct 2009

Had a similar issue with CCI standard velocity out of my High Standard Victor pistol. Seems some cases were oversized enough to lodge halfway down and needed thumb pressure to seat them. Basically couldn't get through a single magazine without a jam or two. Did the "plunk" test and about a third of the batch of CCI's failed. All others I tried seated, fired and ejected perfectly. Gun is like new with a mirror-bright chamber. Maybe you got a bad batch like me?
          I know its tough to do with a rifle, but try to seat the ammo by hand and they should all "plunk" right in the chamber with no resistance. I beleive 22 Match chambers are shallow enough to partially engrave the bullet only, not cause any case restriction whether chambering or ejecting..

Middle pic is where the offending rounds would come to a complete halt.

Bottom pic would be the next round out of the box, which "Plunked" right in like it should.

Last edited by 218bee; 08-11-2018, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• broomhandle
            • Feb 2016

Hi Guys,

As soon as I get a chance, I'll try all the possible cures to the problem.

I'll report back -Thanks again,
            broom,

Comment

Working...
            X