Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-21-2018, 05:48 PM
SAKIJOE SAKIJOE is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 67
Default Refinish your gas cylinder

Hi Guys,
I found a way to refinish your gas cylinder . I went to a Car Paint Shop
and I bought a spray can of SEM self etching primer No. 39673 flat black.
It is made for stainless, aluminum and I think it looks great
I have done it in the pass but I do not have any pictures yet.I will later. Cleaning products , gun oil does not harm it.
Bob
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-21-2018, 06:24 PM
Orlando Orlando is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 9,871
Default

I have found that all types of paint do not last. It scratches easily
__________________
"I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-21-2018, 06:33 PM
Quarterbore Quarterbore is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Valley Forge, PA
Posts: 333
Default

I am going to try this stuff to finish my 1903a3 receiver and I may try it on a M1 gas cylinder too

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/searc...3622&pid=24784
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-21-2018, 07:39 PM
lapriester lapriester is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cobb, N California
Posts: 16,087
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKIJOE View Post
Hi Guys,
I found a way to refinish your gas cylinder . I went to a Car Paint Shop
and I bought a spray can of SEM self etching primer No. 39673 flat black.
It is made for stainless, aluminum and I think it looks great
I have done it in the pass but I do not have any pictures yet.I will later. Cleaning products , gun oil does not harm it.
Bob
Good luck with that. I doubt you'll be happy with the longevity of any paint especially after exposed to cleaning chems.

Quarterbore, don't ruin a good A3 putting that crap on it. Looks like crap, wears even worse.

For finishing a gas cylinder use Caswells stainless blackener. For a receiver, have it properly Parkerized unless you intend to paint it pink. Then it really doesn't matter, does it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-22-2018, 08:56 PM
Brer Rabbit Brer Rabbit is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 42
Default

Saki Joe --that's the name my wife called me for years.

BR
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-22-2018, 08:59 PM
Quarterbore Quarterbore is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Valley Forge, PA
Posts: 333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
Good luck with that. I doubt you'll be happy with the longevity of any paint especially after exposed to cleaning chems.

Quarterbore, don't ruin a good A3 putting that crap on it. Looks like crap, wears even worse.

For finishing a gas cylinder use Caswells stainless blackener. For a receiver, have it properly Parkerized unless you intend to paint it pink. Then it really doesn't matter, does it.
My 1903a3 is a driller, so my options are limited. If it doesn’t hold up, cerocote is my next option.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-22-2018, 11:34 PM
lapriester lapriester is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cobb, N California
Posts: 16,087
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterbore View Post
My 1903a3 is a driller, so my options are limited. If it doesn’t hold up, cerocote is my next option.

On the two drillers I've restored I simply used Caswell's stainless blackener on the ground off weld spots. Worked dandy. Failing that, Ceracoat is your best option. Even Brownells AlumiHyde would be a better choice. It's an epoxy based coating impervious to cleaning chems and pretty durable. Takes about a week to cure though. I've used it on multiple AR's and AR parts with good results and pretty decent durability.

Last edited by lapriester; 05-22-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-23-2018, 05:51 AM
hogleg hogleg is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Columbus, GA.
Posts: 569
Default

Salt blueing is what works best. The only draw back is the stacking swivel will also get a dose of the black, unless you remove it. Not recommended.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-23-2018, 09:51 AM
lapriester lapriester is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cobb, N California
Posts: 16,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogleg View Post
Salt blueing is what works best. The only draw back is the stacking swivel will also get a dose of the black, unless you remove it. Not recommended.
Blueing doesn't work well on the harder, welded areas that are ground off. I sometimes suspect the rods used were stainless or high in Nickle content.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-24-2018, 09:00 AM
Steve9 Steve9 is online now
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I have found that all types of paint do not last. It scratches easily
Does "all types" include a black self-etching primer?

OP, please update how it holds up. I've had good luck
with single-part epoxy rattle can stuff on daily carry
pistols--and other rougher duty applications, like a
freshwater trolling motor, used in saltwater. Never
tried the self-etching, as I only saw it in gray.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 AM.