Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2020, 12:56 PM

Import carbines could have been rebuilt before being sent overseas.
Carbines overseas could have been rebuilt by the owning country or in a unit.
Carbines imported could and many did get rebuilt by the importing company.
So nearly all, import carbines have been rebuilt at least once and/or refinished.
In the late 90's I bought an "original" 7.2 Winchester Blue Sky. It had all the late correct parts and was never rebuilt. All wear, about 80% matched and it even had a E.W. flip safety. I could have replaced the barrel but then, the barrel wear would not match the rest of the carbine. And I did not want to destroy an original carbine. I know this carbine was the exception.
Now on correcting import or any carbines, I believe they work better if all the major parts are
correct for the original carbine manufacturer. I mean, receiver, barrel, bolt, and slide.
And TH if you want to. The type of the part is secondary to manufacturer.
A carbine owner came to me to fix his Inland carbine. The Underwood slide would hang up.
I swapped the Underwood slide for an Inland slide and the Inland slide worked smoothly. I put the Underwood slide on an Underwood carbine and it worked smoothly.
Think of it this way, the Government wanted all parts to work on any carbine.
The carbine manufacturers wanted all their parts to work on all their carbines, first.
If you are lucky enough to have an Inland carbine and want zero malfunctions, you better have Inland parts on it.

Last edited by 6 Ring; 08-03-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Ring View Post
Import carbines could have been rebuilt before being sent overseas.
Carbines overseas could have been rebuilt by the owning country or in a unit.
Carbines imported could and many did get rebuilt by the importing company.
So nearly all, import carbines have been rebuilt at least once and/or refinished.
In the late 90's I bought an "original" 7.2 Winchester Blue Sky. It had all the late correct parts and was never rebuilt. All wear, about 80% matched and it even had a E.W. flip safety. I could have replaced the barrel but then, the barrel wear would not match the rest of the carbine. And I did not want to destroy an original carbine. I know this carbine was the exception.
Now on correcting import or any carbines, I believe they work better if all the major parts are
correct for the original carbine manufacturer. I mean, receiver, barrel, bolt, and slide.
And TH if you want to. The type of the part is secondary to manufacturer.
A carbine owner came to me to fix his Inland carbine. The Underwood slide would hang up.
I swapped the Underwood slide for an Inland slide and the Inland slide worked smoothly. I put the Underwood slide on an Underwood carbine and it worked smoothly.
Think of it this way, the Government wanted all parts to work on any carbine.
The carbine manufacturers wanted all their parts to work on all their carbines, first.
If you are lucky enough to have an Inland carbine and want zero malfunctions, you better have Inland parts on it.

All true.
Folks should do what they wish for what they own, and to accomplish their goal - for shooting, showing, or collecting.
For sure there is no right way or wrong way; only opinion.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:19 PM

Agreed....

Enjoy the hobby!