Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLogik View Post
Beyond an as issued rifle that's a good one, I don't think it's reasonable for most people to accurize or pay to accurize a garand. That, and to shoot a season with one would cost a small fortune in components. 30-06 with Garand powders is also inherently limited for accuracy.

I have never personally seen a high master score shot with a garand at full distance. I think it is a limiting platform given the options available today. ARs and modern prone rifles are incomparably better for marksmanship, IMHO.
IMHO, I agree with the "return on your investment" in paying to accurize a Garand.
But it's because so few Gunsmiths are doing it now (well) so the cost is high.
Not because the Garand cant be a good Service Rifle.

Learning Marksmanship skills is learning marksmanship skills.
You can do that with a 22lr, an AR or Garand.
Now shooting competitive scores with any of those requires an accurized rifle.

I've been fortunate in being able to shoot around several older shooters who have or can still shoot HM scores with an M1 or M14.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:40 PM

To answer some of these thought about me, the OP. Yes, I was talking about 600yd as long range. That's the longest I can shoot at my club, and the distance I was thinking with regard to long range shooting. Over that is hard in the state of IL, but not impossible.

At this point, that's the longest I'll be putting the Garand, or any of my other rifles for that matter. I will change my terminology if long range would be considered anything beyond 600yd, so let's say medium range.

As I've seen before, once you get into it, there's not much different when you get into these ranges with powders that have proven performance. Availability is the main key that I could see, as I've been seeing lately. At this point, I have a hard time finding primers or powder of any kind, let alone any specific brand. So reloading will have to wait for availability of both equipment and components.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packardrod40 View Post
I will change my terminology if long range would be considered anything beyond 600yd, so let's say medium range.
I wouldn't get too worried about this kind of thing. Most shooters do not shoot NRA or CMP full distance matches. The kinds of matches and their distances get to be very specific, and I think it is better, outside of formal match shooting, just to use colloquial terms.

I have shot XTC and long range for many years. But, in normal conversation with other folks that shoot longer ranges, I think it's fine to think that 300 yards, 500 yards, whatever, is long range. Also, most rifles, cartridges, and sighting systems that are commonly available, really are not suited for the NRA's definition of long range, so "long range" for something like a typicl AR or elk rifle is closer in IMHO. These are the kinds of rifles that most folks own and they are also what you see on the range the most.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:34 PM

I'm surely not calling 300yd or 500yd as long range. I'm considering 600yd+ as long range, which is what I said. I have a 600yd range that I was calling long-range. As that's not the terminology, I learned. All good.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:50 PM

OP:
The reason I bring up terminology isn’t for the semantics of it.
It doesn’t really matter what you call it.
But in trying to help (well posting my opinion) it does matter how far out you intend to shoot.
As I posted earlier IMHO, there’s little point in shooting heavy bullets at or under 200yds.

But with a standard M1 in decent condition, it should “hold black” at 600yds.
I’d either shoot a 168 or 175 SMK at 600yds.
You are correct that in some ways the powder choice at 600 doesn’t matter.
But in other ways it does, one main concern is the temperature sensitivity of the powder.
Another is finding a load with a low Extreme Spread.
At 200yds, those are relatively inconsequential but at 600 (and beyond) they are.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
OP:
The reason I bring up terminology isn’t for the semantics of it.
It doesn’t really matter what you call it.
But in trying to help (well posting my opinion) it does matter how far out you intend to shoot.
As I posted earlier IMHO, there’s little point in shooting heavy bullets at or under 200yds.

But with a standard M1 in decent condition, it should “hold black” at 600yds.
I’d either shoot a 168 or 175 SMK at 600yds.
You are correct that in some ways the powder choice at 600 doesn’t matter.
But in other ways it does, one main concern is the temperature sensitivity of the powder.
Another is finding a load with a low Extreme Spread.
At 200yds, those are relatively inconsequential but at 600 (and beyond) they are.
I have been told you have to watch tempature with N140. It's a consistent powder but you can't leave your bass out in the sun.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
...but you can't leave your bass out in the sun.

It will stink to high heaven after a few hours.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
I have been told you have to watch tempature with N140. It's a consistent powder but you can't leave your bass out in the sun.
I’m not sure about N140, I’d have to research it.
I do know that H4895 and Varget have extremely low temp variance.
Which is why I simply suggest working with one of the three proven powders: Varget, 4895 or 4064.
Just use one of those three powders and be done with this.
Old Yesterday, 05:12 AM

Default good enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcolarco View Post
I don't know why you are not sure about N-150. Hornady says they got their best results with it. I suppose it is as good a place to start as any.

I use Varget and 4064. These produce results that are good enough for me.

If you are really conflicted about this, try them all and see what is best for you. National championships have been won with all of them.

Winners use Sierra bullets more than any others. I have never been impressed with Hornady match bullets, but you may have different results.

You have to try a lot of different things to find your groove.
Good enough is all you can really expect from this battle rifle, unless, you have it accurized. I know a guy who does M-1's and M-1A's. I watched a guy shoot one of his rifles.... M1A at sitting and prone... 1 inch groups CONSISTATLY. Couldn't believe my eyes. He shot better than I did at the bench with a scope.

Don't go beyond standard powder and expect great accuracy. If you can get a 2-3 inch group at 100 yards, then that's it. Keep your front sight still by making sure as per Gus Fisher says in a GCA video timing your GC lock the right way.

https://thegca.org/gus-fisher-semina...ca-convention/

fast forward to 45:28, that's where he explains the lock and how to make sure it set up correctly. If you don't then that has alot to do with it loosing accuracy along with other reasons. Make sure the GC is tight on the key ways too. I would suggest watching the whole video. He doesn't cover everything for the LTI.....limited technical inspection.

Last edited by The_M-1Rifle; Yesterday at 05:19 AM.