Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2019, 04:48 PM

Default Grendel

After seeing the Creedmore thread, have any of you experienced the same with Grendel brass?
Old 11-19-2019, 05:50 PM

I only use Starline and Hornady Grendel brass. I had some initial problems with the Starline and bent and cut rims but finally figured out the problem wasn't the brass at all. My bolt extractor spring had a hardened oring enhancer on it and very sharp edges. Removing the oring and a little Dremel work on the edges of the extractor and problem solved. Would I use FC Grendel brass. It's FC so, nope.

I did buy some pulled FC 224 Valkyrie brass a while ago (got it cheap) and, so far, some of it has gone through 2 cycles without any problems. The jury is still out on that but, for the price, if I get 4 cycles out of any of it I'm good with that.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:33 PM

Thanks. I'm not reloading the stuff yet, but it's just a matter of time. I've been warming up the gun (so to speak) with Hornady and will use it starting pretty soon. Any pluses or minuses in the dies realm? I've a big pile of bullets left from my Swedish mauser days. I plan to run the smaller ones through the Grendel (AR platform).
Old 11-25-2019, 02:57 AM

I bought cheap Lee 6.5 Grendel dies and haven't had a single problem. I built both Type 1 and a Type 2 Grendel uppers. Mostly because I got both high quality barrels as very slight blems with shipping scratches I buffed out with ScotchBrite. Both are exceptionally accurate with the Type 1 a bit better even though it has the shorter 18" barrel. The 20" is prettier though. :-). I came close to using one to deer hunt this year but opted again to use my 27GPC (a 6.8 SPC wildcat). Just as well since I ended up taking a bear instead and the bigger and more powerful caliber proved handy.