Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2010, 01:36 PM

I have ten M1 Carbine magazines from CMP and three of them have some rather deep rust spots on them. The worst one I need help on how to repair and then repaint the mag. Anyone have some ideas?

Thomas Hamill
Old 11-05-2010, 09:59 PM

Default Early Inland

Only have one carbine, bought from DCM in 1963.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:22 PM

Wow! With one that nice, who needs more?
A beauty.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jisii View Post
Only have one carbine, bought from DCM in 1963.
A DCM Carbine from 1963? You've got one of the best. The DCM rifles were all US reserve rifles.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:45 PM

That early Inland is smokin'.

Nice carbine. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:22 PM

Default DCM paperwork

I just wish I had the paperwork that came with it. I remember it was sold as "unserviceable" for I Believe, $16.00, shipped from Letterkenny Arsenal and came sripped without magazine. I remember at the time I was dissapointed thar it didn't have the updated rear sight and bayonet lug.

I was 23 years old at the time and my Dad had the NRA membership in the family and he ordered it for me. Dad also got an M1911A1 Remington Rand about the same time and I have the paperwork for that one.

As I noted, the carbine was delivered in early September 1963 and later that month I received my draft notice. Ironically, after going thru Basic at Ft Jackson, I reported for duty at the 13th PSY WAR BN, Special Warfare Center, Ft. Bragg NC and was issued, of all things, an M1 Carbine!

Regards

JI Smith
Bedford PA
Old 11-08-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jisii View Post
I just wish I had the paperwork that came with it. I remember it was sold as "unserviceable" for I Believe, $16.00, shipped from Letterkenny Arsenal and came sripped without magazine. I remember at the time I was dissapointed thar it didn't have the updated rear sight and bayonet lug.

I was 23 years old at the time and my Dad had the NRA membership in the family and he ordered it for me. Dad also got an M1911A1 Remington Rand about the same time and I have the paperwork for that one.

As I noted, the carbine was delivered in early September 1963 and later that month I received my draft notice. Ironically, after going thru Basic at Ft Jackson, I reported for duty at the 13th PSY WAR BN, Special Warfare Center, Ft. Bragg NC and was issued, of all things, an M1 Carbine!

Regards

JI Smith
Bedford PA
Beautiful. Any idea why it was unserviceable? Because it didn't have the upgrades maybe. If you're still disappointed that they aren't there I'll trade you some late parts for your early ones.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:28 PM

Hi Jet Fixer, I believe the "Unserviceable" designation just meant the Army didn't want to spend any money to update it and no I don't want to swap any parts!

I remember after reporting at Ft. Bragg I had to qualify with my M1 Carbine (Expert, still have the badge). A few months later the carbine was replaced with a brand new Winchester M14, which I also qualified expert with. As a side note, basic training qualification at Ft. Jackson was on a train-fire range while Ft Bragg still had the KD ranges out to 500 yards. Ireally liked that Winchester.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:41 PM

A picture of my SG IBM LGKV, she's all mine and I like her a lot.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:53 PM

Default Not so pretty

Not many photos being posted so I thought I would post this less than pretty CMP Inland SG I received back in March 2009. Not complaining, just an example that not every carbine was a beauty. I think this one went through the CMP dishwasher. At that time the stock and rifle got powers washed as one unit. It was a nicely cartouched RMC stock. The rifle showed lots of wear everywhere you looked. As the picture shows, the op rod looked like chrome. The stock was very dry with lots of black streaks. I'll go ahead and make a follow-up posting showing the after cleanup of this carbine.

Last edited by Rockola; 12-07-2010 at 02:09 PM.