Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Auction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 11:25 AM

Default What happens when...

This is Sunday, 19Jan2020. There was an auction, just concluded, that included 6 1911A1 pistols. One was a Union Switch & Signal that went for over $4000.00 (ouch). The other five were two Remington Rand, two Colt, and one Ithaca.

Of those other 5, all were won by two different users. Three went to one bidder, two to the other.

So, what happens now? Is the one 1911 per person rule still in effect? One person cannot win all three, can they?

Since they all appeared to be in a bidding war, how is that fair to the other folks? Someone bidding up the price for something they cannot buy?

I realize that, from a seller perspective, bidding wars are good. But having someone jack up the price when they cannot buy the item seems unreasonable.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:35 PM

I’ll assume the bidder on three different auctions was trying to maximize his chance of winning at least one, since he’s restricted to just one. Once CMP sorts it out the other two pistols will either be re-listed or sold to the second place bidder. IMO
Old 01-19-2020, 05:16 PM

CMP1911Admin had posted on the situation. The winner will get one (his/her choice), not sure about the others.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:15 PM

If you check out the auction one minute after it starts at 12am CST, you will see ONE bidder bid on every 1911 with a bid of $1050.00. He has decided that no 1911 will be bought for $1050.00 from the auction.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by letterman View Post
If you check out the auction one minute after it starts at 12am CST, you will see ONE bidder bid on every 1911 with a bid of $1050.00. He has decided that no 1911 will be bought for $1050.00 from the auction.
$1050 is also the reserve price on auction 1911's.....
Old 01-20-2020, 03:54 PM

My point exactly! When you look at the site the C M P only requires you to bid $1.00 to start the bidding, that is on the bottom of the page. I have placed a bid on one because I got there before he did, he jumped it to $1050.00. I understand the reserve and how it works. My point is auction is five days, I think most people would bid appropriately and you might, could, maybe get one for $1051.99 and then again maybe not. I dont think this individual ever bids after his initial bid.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNerdGuy View Post
This is Sunday, 19Jan2020. There was an auction, just concluded, that included 6 1911A1 pistols. One was a Union Switch & Signal that went for over $4000.00 (ouch). The other five were two Remington Rand, two Colt, and one Ithaca.

Of those other 5, all were won by two different users. Three went to one bidder, two to the other.

So, what happens now? Is the one 1911 per person rule still in effect? One person cannot win all three, can they?

Since they all appeared to be in a bidding war, how is that fair to the other folks? Someone bidding up the price for something they cannot buy?

I realize that, from a seller perspective, bidding wars are good. But having someone jack up the price when they cannot buy the item seems unreasonable.
OP:
I cant find the post but the CMP has stated if the original winner can't or is ineligible to win the 1911 (And yes, one and only one for now) that it then is offered to the next highest bidder..... and so on...

Yes, I would agree someone selfishly bidding on multiple items, knowing he can only win one, is well, selfish. But that isn't a reflection on the CMP.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:04 PM

Default Auction

Yes we have found people bidding on several pistols at one time, if they win all bids and when we discover it (AND WE WILL)they are offered the pistol they made the highest bid on. If they decline, the pistol is offered to the next bidder and the original bidder is no longer able to bid on auction items. When we discover someone is trying to drive up an item, that person is warned and if they keep doing it , they are banned from the auction site. We have banned several so far.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp1911admin View Post
When we discover someone is trying to drive up an item, that person is warned and if they keep doing it , they are banned from the auction site. We have banned several so far.
That's good to hear. Thanks for the information. I hope people that have already received a 1911 through mail order or auction are not bidding.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:56 PM

Default Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp1911admin View Post
Yes we have found people bidding on several pistols at one time, if they win all bids and when we discover it (AND WE WILL)they are offered the pistol they made the highest bid on. If they decline, the pistol is offered to the next bidder and the original bidder is no longer able to bid on auction items. When we discover someone is trying to drive up an item, that person is warned and if they keep doing it , they are banned from the auction site. We have banned several so far.
I had bid on several of the 1911s only to have been outbid before the auction closing, so I bid on two different guns (because I expected to be outbid on the one I really wanted) and won both of them. I can attest to the fact that I only purchased one pistol and was informed of the fact that my random number was pulled from the lottery. As it should be. Im hoping for a second pistol, but well have to wait and see how future offerings turn out.
Closed Thread