Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2019, 10:29 PM

Default Damaged Splines

I have a barrel that is otherwise mint, but it looks like someone did a poor job of peening the splines. It's impossible to get a gas cylinder completely seated onto the barrel.

https://imgur.com/a/zrF46P1

Is there any way to repair the splines? Keep in mind, I have a very basic shop. So I'm hoping there's a simple trick to reworking them.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:47 PM

A needle file would probably get into the spline enough. I've never tried though.

JD
Old 04-15-2019, 01:18 AM

I have no experience fixing this problem. However, it seems simple to fix. material was peened into the key ways, now some needs to be pushed back out. If you have some key stock the same size as the gas cylinder splines, taper the end slightly with a file and drive it down the barrel keyways like your sliding on the gas cylinder. Someone has already done that to a degree with a gas cylinder. If the keyway stock is too soft, you may need to find a little harder material.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:36 AM

Doesn't look that bad. Beat the gas cylinder on with a hardwood block and hammer. When installing a NOS gas cylinder on a NOS barrel it can be a real chore.I have split the hardwood block trying to seat it
Old 04-15-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Doesn't look that bad. Beat the gas cylinder on with a hardwood block and hammer. When installing a NOS gas cylinder on a NOS barrel it can be a real chore.I have split the hardwood block trying to seat it
+1!

The splines on your barrel actually look pretty good. Follow Orlando's instructions and I would wager you will be happy with the results. Whatever you do, I would NOT remove any metal from the splines. Just my two cents...

Edit: I have split hardwood as well getting cylinders on barrels....Just be prepared to never remove the cylinder once you get it seated.

Last edited by SFCDave; 04-15-2019 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 04-15-2019, 08:12 AM

I agree. Tap it on with a rubber mallet or hammer and wood block. You can use a small file to clean up the channels but remember, when you remove material you can not easily put it back.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCDave View Post
I have split hardwood as well getting cylinders on barrels....Just be prepared to never remove the cylinder once you get it seated.
I'll follow yours and Orlando's advice. I wasn't expecting that outcome. I guess I'm going to have to choose carefully which rifle to put the barrel on.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:01 PM

I've had to use the block of wood and hammer, mallet . . . to first seat a gas cylinder when I've adjusted the splines on a barrel. It means you'll have a well secured gas cylinder with an improvement in accuracy over the prior looseness.