X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dfancysr
    • Oct 2009

Noncorrosive Chart

This chart lists dates and beginning lot numbers for noncorrosive production.
    It was published in TN9-1305-200 dated June 1961.
    I suggest you right click on the chart and save it to your computer with a descriptive name.

Dave

Photobucket wants me to pay to host 3d party viewing. I will not pay. Hopefully another member can repost the chart. Sorry.

Post #66 on page 7 by JMM has the chart viewable.
    Last edited by dfancysr; 08-27-2017, 11:58 AM. Reason: .steve. added info
  • jarheadteacher
    GSM Master Instructor
    • Oct 2009

sweet
    thanks for sharing !
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition."
    Rudyard Kipling

Distinguished Rifleman 2383
    CMP RSO II

Comment

• dfancysr
      • Oct 2009

Korean M2 Ball basics

here is the info from the Korean Ammo post below

Korean

This is the surplus Korean M2 Ball. It is good quality and decent for plinking and some lots are more accurate than others. It is found packed in 20 round boxes or in Garand clips.

The two choices are:

"PS" headstamped (Poonsang Metal Corp, Seoul) Sometimes confused as "P8".

"KA" headstamped (Korean arsenal, Pusan)

Notice the headstamps below. The ammo is identical to USGI ammo and performs similar. Accuracy was about 3-4" @100yds with an "average" Garand. The cases are ALL Boxer primed and reloadable, just remove the crimp first.

There are a few drawbacks....namely in that ALL "KA" ammo is corrosive so clean accordingly. While the "PS" ammo is non-corrosive there are a few problem batches of ammo, namely lot 2-152 and 156. These are all '75 dated and have had splits that run into the primer pocket. It is interesting to note that the US had similar problems at Frankford Arsenal in the 20's & 30's. One, the brass "disks" that were to be formed into cases were too close together and they got nicks in them. These nick caused cracks to form down the case and they could ruptere under pressure. On some of the Lot 2-152 cases you can actually see the "nick" near the case head. These will definitly split when fired. The other was from the headstamp die being offcenter and it too caused a "hard or brittle" spot on that side of the casing.

The reason for this may be that the Poonsang factory didn't start production until late 1973 and possibly got a bad batch of brass early on or they were just having some start up problems. Later years and different calibers do not have any problems. Buy this ammo up now while it's still around, you may regret it one day!

Comment

• VMFn542bob
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by dfancysr View Post
        . . . I suggest you right click on the chart and save it to your computer with a descriptive name. Dave
        Here is a link to the same chart but for 30 & 45 cal only.
        (Reference TM9-1305 - 200 June 1961)
        http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/3...mo-nctable.htm
        A veteran is someone who once signed a blank check payable to The United States of America in an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

• Oldloader
          • Mar 2010

Wonder if someone would be kind enough to confirm my interpretation of the ammo I have. LC 54, Lake City; TW 54, Twin Cities; non-corrosive, ok to shoot. DEN 43, don't see it listed anywhere but assume definitely wartime and corrosive.
          Dan in CA.
          Civilization exists at the discretion of geology and is subject to change without notice. - Will Durant.

Comment

• dfancysr
            • Oct 2009

Denver closed down after the war and never made non corrosive primed ammo. That is why it is not listed on the chart.
            The LC and TW both are dated after the conversion.

Dave

Comment

• Oldloader
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by dfancysr View Post
              Denver closed down after the war and never made non corrosive primed ammo. That is why it is not listed on the chart.
              The LC and TW both are dated after the conversion.

Dave
              Very good thanks. Guess I will treat the DEN 43 as collector ammo.
              Dan in CA.
              Civilization exists at the discretion of geology and is subject to change without notice. - Will Durant.

Comment

• ender
                • Oct 2009

The kind folks at the CMP just announced the headstamps found on the first (only?) batch of AP that will be offered and it includes AYR and HXP. Do we have info for these types as well?

Comment

• Moops
                  • Jan 2010

I liked this small article and chart about corrosive ammo.
                  http://www.ashlandlakegunclub.org/do...rimerRedux.pdf

Comment

• Bennett8
                    • Oct 2009

Den 43

I have two cans of the stuff -- it is on 5 round strippers in 60 round bandoleers with cards indicating a LC repack. I am slowly working my way through the first can and it is good shooting stuff and easy to handle with corrosive cleaning techniques. I dunk the brass in soapy water after shooting and am using it for relaods. It gives great service in modest loadings and I have had no problem with case corrosion or splitting. If it was in its original packaging, I would preserve as collector stuff, but otherwise see no reason not to shoot it.

Comment

• battlerattlem1
                      • Mar 2010

Tw non corrosive m2 ball

About 2 years ago, I had a chance purchase 2000 rounds of M2 ball ammo with a TW 51 headstamp.
                      It was represented as corrosive primed by the seller, who was a local "expert". I got on this forum and discovered that Twin Cities was one of the first if not the first govt. ammo producer to go to non corrosive primers, December of 1950. Needless to say, I ran right back and let the seller try to convince me that I didn't want that old corrosive ammo, that he was selling for about one half the normal cost of M2 ball. I still have about 500 rounds and experimenting has shown that it groups about one half the size of the groups with HXP. At least with my ratty old correct grade HRA.
                      And some people say these forums are not helpful.
                      Bull puckey.
                      Last edited by battlerattlem1; 06-02-2010, 12:07 AM. Reason: caps problems.my caps lock was on.

Comment

• .22shooter
                        • Mar 2010

So if a can of ammo has a lot number higher than the one listed for that manufacturer it is non-corrosive?

Example: SL 9420 non corrosive on the chart. Is SL 9779 non corrosive then?

Comment

• Craftsman
                          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by bsrman36 View Post
                          So if a can of ammo has a lot number higher than the one listed for that manufacturer it is non-corrosive?

Example: SL 9420 non corrosive on the chart. Is SL 9779 non corrosive then?
                          Yes.
                          Grandfathers Dwight & Percy- Both WWI US Army, Tank Corps & Corps of Engineers
                          Uncle Colby- WWII US Army Infantry - European Theater / Battle of the Bulge
                          Dad - US Army 1954-1956 Infantry Radio/Morse Code Instructor, Fort Knox

VFW Patriots Circle Member
                          NRA Life Member
                          CMP - GSVMM Master Instructor

Comment

• saltydog452
                            • Jul 2011

Cans can be swaped about, headstamps remain.

Rookie asking, if I read it right, any domestic M2 '06 ammo with a post 1945 headstamp is non-corrossive?

What about foreign headstamps? Buyer beware?

EDIT: Just read the brief refering to Korean and Canadian mfgr, how about Greek, or...?

Thanks,

salty
                            Last edited by saltydog452; 07-17-2011, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• dfancysr
                              • Oct 2009

Domestic M2 ammo with headstamps after 1953 can be assumed to be non corrosive. the crossover dates are in the chart on page 1.

Comment

Working...
                              X