Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2015, 11:31 AM

Default Vintage Sniper - Butner & Others

I plan on shooting the vintage sniper match for the first time this year. Did a lot of reading, and nobody seems to say for sure what the left arm can do (right handed shooter). I have read some people say nothing forward of elbow touching the ground. But, that is prone position rules. The rulebook has a different entry for supported prone rules, but does not specify what you can do with non-shooting arm. I read some people curl up non-shooting hand on mat and put under buttstock. This seems like most natural position, but not sure if legal. So, for those of you who have shot this match already this year at Butner (or other places), what were you allowed to do with non-shooting arm/hand? I want to practice in the position I will be shooting.
Thanks
Old 06-27-2015, 05:22 PM

Mine is supporting the butt stock.

It touches the ground because, with the two sand bags you get, my position is very low to the ground and I can't get it under the butt stock without touching the ground.

In that position it's almost impossible to see where that hand is. It's more underneath me so blocked from view from the top. It's inside my right arm thus blocked from view from my right. The sandbags block the view from the front. So to get a look at my left hand you'd have to be forward of the firing line on my left and laying in a prone position to see it.

If the rule is that your support hand can't touch the ground it is pretty much unenforceable in my opinion. So... as a practical matter I don't think it matters if your hand is touching the ground in that position.

The only way that it could be enforced is with an addition to the rules stating that your support hand must be visible to the line officers while your in position.

Jim
Old 06-27-2015, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the reply. I think I am going to go ahead and shoot that way, as seems most natural, and most people seem to be shooting that way anyway.