Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2015, 07:52 PM

Me too. Garand had 1000 plus which is typical, Springfield and vintage was pretty busy too. Most people blame it on scheduling for this year. Were already walking g around the camp ground checking out spots for next year
Old 07-21-2015, 06:12 AM

I seem to recall, back around 2010, we had over 1300 on the Garand Match. But the past few years it has been ~1k. If you add up the Vintage and Springfield, you usually get about the same 1k.

I am not sure how the old schedule was better. Then, the Vin/Spr was Friday, with Garand and Vin/Spr on Sat. Shooting only these, we had to take Thursday and Friday off from work.

I could see the impact on the M1A match, though...that got thrown to an odd numbered Wednesday.

We were looking at doing SAFS, plus the CMP games in one week, which was do-able in the 2014-15 calendar, but no longer with the calendar of olde.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLB View Post
Yep, my understanding is they didn't even fill the third relay this year. I thought someone said Garand was down a couple of hundred, also. Don't know about the Springfield/Vintage. On the surface it doesn't bode well.
I would have gladly ripped up my Relay 2 scorecard and joined the 3rd relay. Pay your $40 "Do over" fee right there at the table, and shoot again. The CMP should look into this
Old 07-21-2015, 12:56 PM

The numbers are all available on the Competition Tracker...just look for RESULTS link. They go back a couple of years, IIRC.

As for the past few years. Garand (1000), Springfield (600) and Vintage (400) have held about the same.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham_Chu View Post
The numbers are all available on the Competition Tracker...just look for RESULTS link. They go back a couple of years, IIRC.

As for the past few years. Garand (1000), Springfield (600) and Vintage (400) have held about the same.
Good idea. Here is the last 5 years from Competition Tracker (Scored Competitor Results) Garand has declined but probably in the noise. Nearly 30% drop in carbine competitors over 5 years doesn't seem trivial.

Garand: 1072
Carbine: 368
Garand: 1076
Carbine: 415
Garand: 1108
Carbine: 476
Garand: 1112
Carbine: 509
Garand: 1212
Carbine: 518
Old 07-21-2015, 02:06 PM

I know my guys (4 of us that go each year) aren't interested. They look at the carbine, understand the intent of it, and do not find shooting an inherently inaccurate rifle interesting. Especially at 100 yards. Even if everyone else is shooting the same inherently inaccurate rifle.

I would like to take it out for a spin, as I have heard that its not a half day affair....no pits, all targets posted together. I can't get them interested.

Also the lack of carbine support from CMP will not encourage new shooters. The Vintage Rifle was opened up to get ANYONE else with that old mil-surp rifle out to Perry, but that field is wide open on purpose.

If CMP to gets all sticky on the 'as-issued' rules for the carbine match, numbers will plummet towards oblivion.

Maybe they'll open it up to the M4 Carbine also (just kidding)
Old 07-26-2015, 02:59 PM

Just me, but I've registered for the Carbine Match for the past two years and cancelled when I got the opportunity to get on an NTT OoC team. NTT is run at the same time out on Viale, so I can't do both. Carbine likes the thousand mile ride though.....
Old 08-01-2015, 11:11 AM

My son & I have been shooting the carbine match since it started, and we also compete against each other in the Garand match. I personally think attendance is down for two reasons. One being the schedule, with the match falling on a Monday, but overall I think housing has a lot to do with it. Since the old huts have been torn down and limited new huts have been built competitors have to seek housing elsewhere. In the Port Clinton area, which is a vacation hot spot for Put-In-Bay etc., hotels are not cheap, and on the weekend (Garand, Vintage, Springfield) prices are even higher. Not everyone has a camper, and knowing the weather at Camp Perry, using a tent is a gamble.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:04 PM

Mabe guys are starting to realize that pistol week is the week before