Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2021, 09:01 AM

Right now, the only FG offered by mail is the Winchester at $850, so if you are looking for a shooter, SG is your best option. I have ordered several over the years and the worst I have gotten is TE 3+ and ME2+. I have never been unhappy with a SG I received, but there have been a few, that I have been less than excited about.

I built my own CMP special at the AMC course a few years ago, so that is my shooter and everything else is more for collecting. My criteria now is more about original barrel and USGI stock.

I suggest that you put a sticky on the order asking for the best barrel measurements possible and hope for the best. Also a new CMP stock will give you the best lockup of the receiver and help with accuracy. As mentioned above, if you are not excited with what you get, you can sell it and order another one.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:34 PM

I have ordered a few service and field grades over the years. I have had two service grades I wasn't in love with throat readings. One was a Winchester picked up at Oklahoma games. Cleaned chamber TE grew to almost 5. And service grade I got yesterday TE 4+ . Most have been in excellent condition.
Field grades are more of an interesting crap shoot. Some wonderful some not so wonderful. I have been playing this game for a while , have parts ability to change barrel ect. A new person to the hobby probable best served with service grade over field grade via mail order.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:54 AM

Right now, there appear to be only 3 grades of Garands available:

WRA field at $850
SA / HRA (you do not get to choose) Service at S750
IHC (withOut LMR barrel) Service at $1080.

That's it.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=134567
Old 02-26-2021, 05:55 AM

Should I order a Service Grade?? Yes.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:52 AM

When that door finally closes there will be a lot of sad souls and lots of tears from the "
I shoulda got one people" as within 24 hours of the CMP Announcement the prices will likely double. Don't think so, Ha! just go and ask the Colt Python, or HK 91 miss the boat crowd The Point being don't miss the boat that you know will absolutely eventually be sailing, and with many left on the shore weeping bitterly. Condition can be fixed, you can spray weld or micro tig weld to fix any pitting or imperfections if you are determined. New barrels and NOS parts can be had to bring even a dog Garand up to snuff, but the basic arm is not being made any more! The parade is still going on, ask yourself if you want it to pass you by, a decent service grade now is surely worth what CMP is asking today. 20 years from now your son or daughter will be singing your praises for thinking of them with it instead of giving them a rusting pos toyota corolla in need of non available parts.

Last edited by rrob; 02-26-2021 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
.... Remember that not only do a small percentage of CM customers post here, most post great looking Garands and not so much the ugly ducklings. ...
Do not base your expectations off what is posted on the forum. they are the cream of the crop generally.

Years and years ago I commented and posted pictures on the "Dog" Service Grade I rcvd by mail order. Needless to say it was not well received and I got roasted.

If I was going to mail order, it would be nothing less than a Service Grade, and set my expectation on the minimum specifications. This way there is no disappointment.

Just looked at the sales page and now even with the CMP Special (reparked + new barrel) they say to expect pitting.

NRA Endowment Life Member; Garand Collectors Association (GCA); Carbine Club; Ohio Gun Collector Assoc (OGCA) Life Member
Old 02-27-2021, 10:53 AM

As one poster said, with a service grade you'll get a solid, functional rifle that probably will shoot pretty well. Rust and pitting can be dealt with using oil and soft brass or copper wool. There places that will refinish it for a price. I would recommend that whatever you get, take it completely apart, clean it, remove any rust, then grease every surface on the parts (I use LSA in the trigger group) for protection and lubrication. Then reassemble it and enjoy it. I cover every metal surface with a film for protection from corrosion.
For lubrication this is a good source: http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-grease