Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2018, 09:45 PM

Default M12 question for those shooting prone

Have a stock question for those of you shooting these rifles in the prone position (with a sling).

Most M12 owners will agree that the original stock is "clubby".

The issue I have when shooting in the prone position is that with my head/cheek on the stock my eye is NOT looking thru the center of the rear sight.

This is because, for me, the comb of the stock is "too" wide and unless I "roll" my head/cheek over the top of the comb (not much just a little) I can NOT see thru the rear sight to align it with the front sight.

The "fix" wood be to "thin" the thickness of the left side of the comb (and maybe "rounding" the top of the comb)

My question is.... do other shooters using this gun as I mentioned above find that the comb is indeed too thick and that thinning this area of the comb would help with there sight alignment?

ptf18
Old 11-20-2018, 09:01 AM

ptf18

A lot of people have the same problem with the M12. I know I did when I owned one. My understanding is the stock was meant to be shaped to the shooter. That unfortunately is not an option for most owners who are also collectors. Modifying the stock really kills the value. So here are a few options:

1. Find a used stock you can modify.

2. Physically raise the rear and front sights to get a head position and eye-relief that works for you.

Art
Old 05-09-2019, 03:44 PM

Sounds like your M12 is a Harrington & Richardson. They have stocks that resemble 2X4's.
You should be able to find a used 40X or Winch.52 target stock at a gun show or maybe Numrich. With a little alteration the H&R should fit in and it will be more comfortable to shoot.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:51 PM

I have a M12 and I know what you are talking about, I don’t shoot mine a lot but if I did I would just change the shape of the stock. You have a solid rigid stock and finish would be easy to deal with, just go to work on it and make it fit would be my suggestion.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:00 PM

Another option, IF you can find a gunsmith who knows how, is to have "castoff" put in the stock. That will allow you to place your face against the stock without tilting and see directly down the bore line. It's also not obvious to anyone not looking for it so the stock appears to be factory.

The English and Europeans often do it to shotguns.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESWL View Post
My understanding is the stock was meant to be shaped to the shooter.
Interesting. I always thought that the purpose of the H&R M12 was to be an m14 trainer. If you compare the stock of the M12 to an M14, they are nearly identical in dimensions. In any case, it makes for a tricking prone stock. I have one that is virgin, and that is how it will stay. I have shot it prone and done fairly well with it. But, there is no comparison between an M12 stock and an Anschutz built for positions.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:56 PM

Default Cant the rifle so comb wood doesnt interfere

Commonly done for better fit. Obviously sight adj becomes a bit tricky. So, some target shooters will reposition fr. sight and rear sight. Tubb mentions this in his books on target shooting