Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2017, 08:48 PM

Default en blocs

Not sure if this is the correct forum. I have found, when reloading for my first garand that my Borg Warner en blocs do not like cartridges that have not been full length resized. When only neck sized it seems that the clip is just a slight bit out wider and the magazine does not want to seat. No problem with rounds that have been full length sized. Is this common?
Old 09-24-2017, 09:00 PM

That was funny! Not very nice.... but my first thought anyway.

A military weapon feed system never designed for reloads, go figure!
Old 09-24-2017, 09:36 PM

Full size for the M1 it will make things easier.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:37 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallased View Post
Not sure if this is the correct forum. I have found, when reloading for my first garand that my Borg Warner en blocs do not like cartridges that have not been full length resized. When only neck sized it seems that the clip is just a slight bit out wider and the magazine does not want to seat. No problem with rounds that have been full length sized. Is this common?
When you finally figure out that neck sizing has no place whatsoever in Garand reloading you will figure out why neck sizing sizing is inappropriate for virtually all gas guns, commercial, vintage or otherwise. You simply must full length size if you expect reliable function out of your Garand. It's not an enbloc problem you have, it's incorrect sizing/reloading procedure for the rifle that's the problem.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
When you finally figure out that neck sizing has no place whatsoever in Garand reloading you will figure out why neck sizing sizing is inappropriate for virtually all gas guns, commercial, vintage or otherwise. You simply must full length size if you expect reliable function out of your Garand. It's not an enbloc problem you have, it's incorrect sizing/reloading procedure for the rifle that's the problem.
My first semi auto rifle. Many bolt action military rifles for many years.
Live and learn. Easily remedied.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:18 PM

The following is not meant unkindly. Since you seem to have overlooked a vital truth about reloading for the M1 Rifle, perhaps you need to study more on the subject. Things like appropriate burn rate powders, bullet weights, etc. If you've already done this, please forgive my suggestion that you haven't. Loading for the M1 Rifle has stricter standards than exist for bolt guns.

Most of the various reloading manuals that I've read over the years do not recommend neck sizing for semi auto or slide action rifles. Of any kind, not to mention just the M1 Rifle.

A neck sizing die might come in handy for reworking ammo which had already had the cases full-length sized and were pulled down for some reason before shooting. Boo-boo rounds, you changed your mind about powder charge, etc. Then you could use your neck sizer to re-do the neck without full length sizing all over again.

Taking this a step further, if you are not already aware of them, there are what is called Small Base sizing dies. These are sometimes recommended for semi autos and slide action rifles because they return the cartridge case at the web area to its original size. Most "normal" full-length reloading dies do not completely resize this area back to original, unfired size. SAAMI specs allow for size variation in this area, so I guess most normal sizing dies are within these specs even if slightly larger than original. Look at an unfired case, then look at a resized fired case. You will see what I mean. Some semi autos/slide actions have chambers tight enough that unless the case is sized with a Small Base sizing die, operation will be difficult. This isn't likely to happen in a bolt action due to the leverage inherent to the design. My own experience with the M1 Rifle has been that Small Base sizing isn't required.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:27 PM

Appreciate it. I have been reloading since 1964. Never had any interest in semi auto rifles until about a month ago. Then got the Garand bug. Downhil since then. I am up on powder types etc. Been reloading for 03A3's and 1917's for quite a while. Had some neck sized cases for them so I tried 8 of them. Didn't work out very well. Had 24 full length sized cases and they all functioned perfectly. My biggest discovery was Lake City ammo that shoot all in the same hole at 50 yards (learning and practicing distance) and I don't shoot that well with old eyes. I will be asking periodic questions and take no offence at responses. We are all unknowns to each other. All I know is that so far shooting a garand is more fun than I should be allowed to have at my age and believe me when I say I have shot my share of military surplus over the years. I have Mausers that would bring tears to your eyes they are so beautiful.

I am concerned I may have to buy another one. They are so far off the normal path I have journeyed down for so many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmerkt View Post
The following is not meant unkindly. Since you seem to have overlooked a vital truth about reloading for the M1 Rifle, perhaps you need to study more on the subject. Things like appropriate burn rate powders, bullet weights, etc. If you've already done this, please forgive my suggestion that you haven't. Loading for the M1 Rifle has stricter standards than exist for bolt guns.

Most of the various reloading manuals that I've read over the years do not recommend neck sizing for semi auto or slide action rifles. Of any kind, not to mention just the M1 Rifle.

A neck sizing die might come in handy for reworking ammo which had already had the cases full-length sized and were pulled down for some reason before shooting. Boo-boo rounds, you changed your mind about powder charge, etc. Then you could use your neck sizer to re-do the neck without full length sizing all over again.

Taking this a step further, if you are not already aware of them, there are what is called Small Base sizing dies. These are sometimes recommended for semi autos and slide action rifles because they return the cartridge case at the web area to its original size. Most "normal" full-length reloading dies do not completely resize this area back to original, unfired size. SAAMI specs allow for size variation in this area, so I guess most normal sizing dies are within these specs even if slightly larger than original. Look at an unfired case, then look at a resized fired case. You will see what I mean. Some semi autos/slide actions have chambers tight enough that unless the case is sized with a Small Base sizing die, operation will be difficult. This isn't likely to happen in a bolt action due to the leverage inherent to the design. My own experience with the M1 Rifle has been that Small Base sizing isn't required.

Last edited by dallased; 09-25-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:18 AM

I learned something. I do just a little reloading. I use a neck sizing die for the Swede practice ammo I redo. That seemed like a natural.