Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T38Carbine View Post
I'm not going to try it on one of my stocks...but I feel it would take quite a whack from an enbloc held in your hand to cause that deep markings!! Hey, I've been wrong before but that seems like a stretch!!
Yes...... that is what it's from......
GI's either @#$%'g around or making sure there was no high cartridge.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:11 PM

Tape can be removed with WD40 and steel wool. I would only advise it if your planning on refinishing the stock since the wood under the tape wont match the patina of the rest of the wood
Old 09-23-2017, 07:39 PM

As lapriester said, the dimples can be made less noticeable with a steam iron and a wet rag on the afflicted area. It helps to clean and degrease the area to be steamed because oil and grease impede the penetration of the steam, which swells the wood fibers and reduces the depth of the dents. Try it; you may be pleasantly surprised. When done and dried for a day or so, apply oil and see what you think.

Last edited by Oldvetteman; 09-23-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I'm not going to try it on one of my stocks...but I feel it would take quite a whack from an enbloc held in your hand to cause that deep markings!! Hey, I've been wrong before but that seems like a stretch!!
Don't speculate. Get some walnut scrap and try it. You don't have to whack it as hard as you might think to create the sort of dimples we are discussing. Please let us know what you observe.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:26 PM

It doesn't look like a neat eight rd pattern because one of the rds was high. That was the point of whacking the enbloc on the stock.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvetteman View Post
Don't speculate. Get some walnut scrap and try it. You don't have to whack it as hard as you might think to create the sort of dimples we are discussing. Please let us know what you observe.
Its not hard to do. A fellow I helped with his rifle wanted his commercial stock to have a been there done it look. He didnt want to sacrifice his excellent stock fitment by switching to a well used GI stock. He made it look cool and he made some enbloc dimples as well
Old 09-23-2017, 11:42 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Nope, a light tap with a FMJ bullet is all it takes. Walnut is a pretty soft wood. If it were Birch you might not even see it much but they would still be there. Those marks are so common, especially on Greek returns, it doesn't even warrant further discussion. Over the years I've received several rifles with identical imprints on them. Some far worse. I'm of the belief that the Greeks were taught to do that and also used their stocks as bats to hit rocks into the Med at passing warships.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:23 AM

That's funny! The Greek made stocks were as big as baseball bats. Not great baseball bats.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:15 AM

Most guys are "righties" and the dimples will naturally be on the right side of the stock (muzzle down range). The only odd thing is that these are on a pretty thin part of the stock, they are on the butt stock of two of mine. Funny this was a thing. I whack my clips on the clip base to seat the cartridges - on a loading bench, not my rifle.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:03 AM

Never had to "whack" my enblocs...but I guess I could try it? Hope I don't go blind!!